YZ timing 2004 wr450

6 replies to this topic
  • simon@vic

Posted May 20, 2004 - 10:05 AM

i got my 04 yz450 exaust cam today :thumbsup:. does the set up go somthing like this.
??????

so i install the yz one with its normal mark? witch would be retarding it ..........

do i do anything to the intake cam ? retard or advance it one tooth or doe i leave it alone?

thx

• Indy_WR450

Posted May 20, 2004 - 12:21 PM

Leave the intake cam alone. The exhaust cam mark should be in a similar indication spot but the cam lobe will be at a different degree. New shims will be needed. Be prepared to have your arms stretched. :thumbsup:

• simon@vic

Posted May 20, 2004 - 02:18 PM

thx
re shiming is no big deal. i do it all the time. your saying that the possition of the lobe will change the clearance? isnt most of the "back side" of the lobe all the same size?

and thx :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tcmII

Posted May 20, 2004 - 04:57 PM

The cam lobe profile will likely be near the same from ZY to WR the difference will be in the relationship of the lobe to the timing marks.

I don't have any direct experience, but the other threads I've read for '03 / '04 cam swaps say to use the timing marks.

I have a copy of the PDF file to install the '03 cam in earlier models. If you think that it will help let me know.

Also, what are your plans for the '04 WR cam?

• endurodog

Posted May 20, 2004 - 05:17 PM

One thing you can't forget to do is give a ride report after it's in.

• simon@vic

Posted May 20, 2004 - 06:00 PM

The cam lobe profile will likely be near the same from ZY to WR the difference will be in the relationship of the lobe to the timing marks.

i know this but i cant see it changing the clearance when the lobe is "up and over".....but i don't know. thats why I'm asking.

Also, what are your plans for the '04 WR cam?

keeping it for dirt rides. when i get my 2005 in November i will be dedicating that one to supermoto. at that point i will be selling the one of the wr450 cams.

1 is not enough. :thumbsup: :awww: the days of swapping wheels and brakes are over............soon. :lol:

• Racer577

Posted May 23, 2004 - 04:40 AM

The YZ and WR cams time the same. The cam is pressed in differently so the lobes are in a different location for the same cam timing marks. The WR cam has a groove in the gear to be able to tell them apart. I didnt have to change shims when I swapped cams.
The end result was a snappier throttle. More fun to ride, but it might not be as fast on loose/ slick stuff. Also the gray wire disconnect seemed to fix my part throttle miss that plagued the bike since new.

i got my 04 yz450 exaust cam today :thumbsup:. does the set up go somthing like this.
??????

so i install the yz one with its normal mark? witch would be retarding it ..........

do i do anything to the intake cam ? retard or advance it one tooth or doe i leave it alone?

thx

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.