K&N for 426??

10 replies to this topic
  • idaho426

Posted June 04, 2002 - 11:01 AM

I was looking in Dennis Kirk last night and saw a K&N air filter for a yz 426. Has anyboby used one? Are they worth it? My old Banshee had one and it seemed to work very well and it seemed to give a little bit better power.

• SMP

Posted June 04, 2002 - 11:37 AM

I have had one on my 01 426 for about a year now and love it, you will need to have a prefilter also (which does not require oiling). Since the prefilter is not oiled dust and dirt do not stick to it, thus requiring less filter cleanings.

The whole setup is a little tricky to mount, but once on, works great. It also flows about 20% more air.

• idaho426

Posted June 04, 2002 - 12:49 PM

What do you mean by hard to mount? Does'nt it mount like a stock filter or does it mount directly onto the carb? Another qusetion, do you have to clean it as often as a foam filter?

• SMP

Posted June 04, 2002 - 01:04 PM

The mounting is similar to the stock foam filter, but it has a metal backing plate, I might just be paranoid, so I spent some extra time making sure it was all seated correctly.

What I have found by using the K&N and a prefilter, is I have not had to clean it as frequently.

I ride mostly in the dunes under dry condition.

Also, I noticed that my "ocassional plug fouling problem" has gone away(more air).

• 98yz

Posted June 05, 2002 - 03:30 AM

Be carefull with the K&N filters, they do not do a good job at all in catching dust and the smaller dirt particles. Here in the southeast where we get alot of dust, I don't of any riders using them. I had one 400EX rider bring in his quad with a K&N on it, filter looked great, sealed to airbox well, but all the dust and dirt was in his motor. I'm not saying they are all bad, just watch the conditions you ride in. The K&N help improve air flow and are less restrictive, and this typically means they will pass more of everthing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • idaho426

Posted June 05, 2002 - 09:16 PM

K&N claims that their filters work better than foam filters, that is one of their sales pitches, is it true? If so, you get better filteration and more air, how could you go wrong?
P.S. Come on Ego, I KNOW that you have something to say about this too!!

• holeshot

Posted June 05, 2002 - 03:31 PM

I saw a K&N filter for the 426 in a local shop. When I picked it up my first impression was that the thing was heavy. They use a lot of steel on their filters....

• keith_king

Posted June 06, 2002 - 01:22 AM

hey idaho i had a K&N since i got my 426 a year ago from experience and from word of mouth it runs better a lil dirty but i love it and im going to always run it

• idaho426

Posted June 06, 2002 - 06:42 AM

I weigh 280 lbs. Weight is not an issue. :) :D

• idaho426

Posted June 06, 2002 - 06:43 AM

[ June 06, 2002: Message edited by: idaho426 ]

• keith_king

Posted June 07, 2002 - 01:36 AM

yeah me to idaho426 im 6'6" 260 if i was worried about weight ill shed 20 off myself :) :D :D

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.