Yamaha DEFECT or What???????

5 replies to this topic
  • XXX_Thumper

Posted May 20, 2004 - 07:40 AM

Ok, I've been doing some searching on here and this is what I've found.

Alot of people are having problems with thier hot start plungers freezing up. While trying to fix mine, I broke the prongs that hold the cable in the carb. Some one said this is a very common occurance because of the type of lube and corrosion that gets in under that plastic cap.

Has this happened to anyone and what have they done about it? Did you take it to a dealer and have them fix the problem. This is a '03 450 with a stock plunger.

• Jeffro426

Posted May 20, 2004 - 07:51 AM

Every time i change my oil i also take the extra minute to take off the plunger, shoot a little WD-40 into the opening and put it back together....havent had a problem yet.

• MXKyle

Posted May 20, 2004 - 08:03 AM

Yes, it happened to mine too. When I finally got it unstuck I cleaned it up and coated it in anti-seize. No more problems.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 20, 2004 - 03:48 PM

We had this problem for a while with my son's '01 YZ250F using a Dr.D hot start. The only thing that will cause the white crusties in the hot start bore (or anywhere else in a carb) is water. When the bike sat for a week after we washed it, it would stick. Dubach sent me a couple of seals for the unit for free (he was going to send me a whole free hot start kit, but I told him not to). This only partially solved the problem, but it was cool of him to do it.

First, get rid of ALL of the corrosion you can find. It grows back if you don't. Use WD-40 and a nylon 30 caliber rifle bore brush to clean the carb. If it's really bad use brass at first. Lube it with a tiny bit of waterproof or graphite grease.

To keep it from repeating, avoid spraying the carb with water more than absolutely necessary. After the wash, start the bike and run til it will stay lit without the choke. Raise the rpm a bit 2000-3000, hold it there and open the hot start. This will draw out any moisture in the airway around the hot start valve.

It's been working for me.

• XXX_Thumper

Posted May 20, 2004 - 04:00 PM

Cool. Sounds like this will all work.

But what do I have to do to replace the plunger? I broke the clip that hold the cable. How do I get it out? Dealer or what? This is my big delema now.

• Norb

Posted May 20, 2004 - 05:37 PM

I noticed my hot start plunger starting to stick during one of my rejetting episodes. It looked to me like the seal on the plunger was causing all of the stiction. I removed it and have had no problems since. The hot start works fine too. So far, the plunger bore is staying clean without the seal. :thumbsup:

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.