Spark Arrestor

7 replies to this topic

Posted June 04, 2002 - 05:32 AM

Hi,

I'm looking for an inexpensive spark arrestor for a YZ 426. Does anyone have any sugestions?

Thanks

• John_Lorenz

Posted June 04, 2002 - 05:39 AM

shove steel wool down the pipe and cork it with a towel

Couldnt resists sorry

I assume Super trap would be about the cheepest

• Merfman

Posted June 04, 2002 - 05:59 AM

Pro Moto Billet makes an endcap replacement that you can get for $119. I just put one on my 01YZ426F.

Or, I can sell you a used WB ESeries for $180.

Merf

• dhowell

Posted June 04, 2002 - 06:54 AM

I purchased a used stock can from someone on the site. When I got it and looked at the pipe, it had a home made spark arrestor. It looks like he just poped the rivets put in a gage of wire that would stand up to the heat, block sparks yet not restrict flow and put the cap back on with a rivet gun. Did a very good job I might add. That's the best suggestion I can come up with. It would actually work out great if you needed to repack your can. Take care of both while you have the cap off.

Good luck!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted June 04, 2002 - 07:31 AM

I like that idea, but I've heard and read that it must have USFS approved stamped on it to satisfy ticket happy Ranger Bob. I don't understand why there aren't any (at least that I can find) cheap arrestors like the Cobra Sparky that just mount onto the current muffler available for 4 strokes, or am I wrong about that?

• CyPrice

Posted June 04, 2002 - 08:26 AM

I was in your same boat a couple of weeks ago. The cheapest solution I found was the ProMoto Billit spark arrestor. Just drill out the rivits on your stock end cap, slide the new end cap in and rivit in place. Worked very well. USFS aproved. I bought mine with the quiet insert and it does quiet it down a bit. $129.00 I posted this here earlier and someone said that was too much, you could get a slip-on for that price. I couldnt find a cheaper way to be legal.
Cyrus

• Glen_T

Posted June 04, 2002 - 12:35 PM

If you want a new silencer, I've got a White Bros. e-series that I'll sell for $150.00 Spark arrestor, deflector (to keep fender clean) and the gromets and seals. Makes great power too, but it's loud.

Glen T

• Fireballsocal

Posted June 04, 2002 - 01:00 PM

I've been checked several places a number of times for a spark arrestor. The always stick a pole into the exaust to see if anything stops it. I've never had anyone look for the forrest circus stamp.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.