00 tranny failure... 2nd time in 6 mo.

3 replies to this topic
  • tool

Posted May 19, 2004 - 12:46 PM

i was sweetening my 426... just got a z start in there and adjusted. 1st oil change since, i pull out my mag drain plug and see a huge pile of broken metal stuck to it. :thumbsup: very small pieces, but they do look like gear teeth. not clutch.
i had my 4th gear blow over this past winter, not even 6 months ago. i replaced any worn or broken gears... shift drum and forks looked new. that time the back tire wanted to lock up but that was the only problem.
this time the back tire has never tried to lock up, and there is no slipping/skipping feel in any gear. but it does miss the shift to 5th gear more than it should.

i was just wondering what you guys thought about this before i split the case. i guess she wants another rebuild...

• Squirly246

Posted May 19, 2004 - 01:03 PM

I am in the proccess of replacing second and fourth gears right now. I never Noticed any shifting problems, but I have my cases apart replacing the crank do to a broken chain giude that caused my chain to wear out the crank gear. That is a different story though. When I was looking at the gears I noticed minor pitting on the second a fourth gears on the main shaft. Apparently from what I have heard this two gears have somewhat common failure. Whatever you do make sure that you get all the metal out of oil passages. Check your oil pump also. Mine was totally shot. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tool

Posted May 19, 2004 - 01:07 PM

basically, im wondering if it can be anything other than broken gears? i just dont see what else could lose that much material.
its not the keyway... the counterbalancer is still working right. how can i rely on this tranny anymore? it keeps breaking :thumbsup:

• Matt96xr6

Posted May 19, 2004 - 04:51 PM

Are you getting the 00 01 or 02 gears?

The 00 should have the strongest gears of all 3 years. in 01 and 02 they started to drill out the gears, drums and other parts in the bottom end for a weight reduction. This could cause some of the replacement parts to be weaker?

Be sure to replace all bearings and shims that are out of spec. A bike tranny is just like a car tranny and EVERYTHING has to be in spec. Not just new!.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.