Dumb questions - Electrex and Ignition Rotor

12 replies to this topic
  • DRZJedi

Posted May 19, 2004 - 12:41 PM

Installing an Electrex dual sport kit on a 03 WR450F...the instructions for the stator mod are not that clear. Couple questions.
1. A wire needs to be soldered to the stator. Do I need to remove the rotor to access the stator?

2. If I do have to pull the rotor, are there any safe options to pull the rotor other than buying the special Yamaha rotor puller tool?

Thanks.
Patrick

• benny_d

Posted May 19, 2004 - 02:35 PM

Yes, you do have to. The tool is only $10.00 and worth it if you do not want to warp your flywheel. The wires which you have to modify are pretty much burried behind it. Removing the stator and doing the soldering on a workbench would be tons better than trying to do it on the bike.

• sabin

Posted May 19, 2004 - 10:36 PM

Deleted, becouse I confused bykes...

• DRZJedi

Posted May 20, 2004 - 06:29 AM

Thanks! I think I might just take it to Electrex in Oceanside and see if they can do the stator mod for me.

Patrick

• dbart

Posted August 18, 2005 - 11:28 AM

you can pick my bike up too and take it there. maybe they can figure out my electrical problem.
what's up Jedi?
are you going to gorman? i should have my bike back this week.

• Wacko

Posted August 19, 2005 - 04:42 AM

Sorry Benny D but your wrong. The stator is bolted inside the outer case cover. There's no need to remove the rotor.

Wayne

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RichBaker

Posted August 19, 2005 - 12:26 PM

What Wayne said....

• aflick

Posted August 19, 2005 - 01:26 PM

I have this kit on my 04WR450f and have had trouble with charging the battery. I did not have to do the stator mod but they (electrosport) have a wr-fix kit that changed the headlight back to ac. I have not received the kit yet but I hope it works.

alex

• aflick

Posted August 30, 2005 - 07:42 AM

Well I received the kit and installed it. not much to it, a new head light connector and a relay. I also changed from the 35W back to the 55W light, so I am happy about that. It seems to have helped but I have not gone for a long ride yet. Hopfully over the weekend.

alex

• PumpkinHumper

Posted August 30, 2005 - 08:18 AM

Sorry Benny D but your wrong. The stator is bolted inside the outer case cover. There's no need to remove the rotor.

Wayne

Yes you do have to remove the flywheel to get at the stator!

What he is looking to do is mod the stator per electric's instructions. The only way to get at the stator is pull the flywheel. And you need a flywheel puller for that. Puller is cheep. Get the correct one for the bike not one of those 3 jaw pullers.

• RichBaker

Posted August 30, 2005 - 02:21 PM

On my 03 WR450 the stator is bolted to the side cover, remove the sidecase and it comes out with the stator attached....the wires going into the cover are for the stator! You do NOT need a puller...

• Wacko

Posted August 31, 2005 - 05:16 AM

What Rich said...

The WR's are different from the YZ's.

Wayne

• PumpkinHumper

Posted August 31, 2005 - 07:56 AM

Ahh I missed the 450 part. They must be different from the YZ/WR 400/426's

My bad.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.