TM Designworks chain guide

4 replies to this topic
  • YZ400Court

Posted June 03, 2002 - 04:48 AM

While I have this down time recovering from ACL replacement surgery, I have had a lot of time to work on the 98 YZ-400. I finally am getting to the chain and sprockets and noticed how beat up the aluminum chain guide is. Anyone tried the TM Designworks guide. I put the rub block on some time ago, and other than the noise, like it a lot. I just wonder how the nylon piece hanging down from the swing arm will hold up.

Posted Image

Other stuff done...new swingarm/linkage bearings, greased steering stem bearings, forks serviced new seals, long sealsavers, hebo clutch, fastline brakeline with custom bracket, complete valve job, clean up ports in head, 426 con rod, 426 cylinder, 426 piston (weisco), WR transmission, new shift forks, BBR Kicker 1" shorter, rebuilt Scotts damper, SS brake pins.

Hmmmm, maybe I should have kept the 520 and just had the suspension done.... it would have been cheaper.
Posted Image

• Hick

Posted June 03, 2002 - 06:50 AM

Originally posted by YZ400Court:
Anyone tried the TM Designworks guide. I put the rub block on some time ago, and other than the noise, like it a lot. I just wonder how the nylon piece hanging down from the swing arm will hold up.

I’ve had two on two bikes, they are pretty indestructible. They may not give it in writing, but I was told they were guaranteed against breakage. As for wear, they do not appear to wear much at all, although after a while your chain lube will stain portions of the white guide. I probably have 100 hours on the older one and it looks good for that much more at least.

For both bikes I just bought the kit that included rollers, guard and guide. FYI the newer model arm guards have a preformed rail for the rollers to ride on, getting rid of probably 90% of the noise.

Hope this helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shawn_Mc

Posted June 03, 2002 - 07:30 AM

I have one of the newer rails with the pre formed ridge for the chain and it still made a ton of noise until I remounted it and put Automotive grade GOOP under it. Now it make almost no noise what-so-ever. Best advice Ive ever used. I dont remember who told me to goop it, but it worked great, I couldnt stand the noise. It sounded like firecrackers going off!

• YZ400Court

Posted June 03, 2002 - 07:59 AM

Sounds like the noise is between the guide and the swingarm, not the chain and guide.... interesting.

• crazyadam

Posted June 04, 2002 - 08:10 AM

I have over 250 miles on my buffer, and guide.
I love them! they are holding up great!
my guide said 3 yr warranty on the package. (the part by the rear sprocket)

and my GOOP is starting to seperate from the buffer, but not from the swingarm. its getting a little noisier, but not bad at all. i will remove the old GOOP, clean and reapply!
It takes almost all the noise out of the chain slap! definatly worth the effort!

Automotive "GOOP" (glue) found everywhere, home depot, wally world, auto parts store. it's worth the 4$..... trust me :)

[ June 04, 2002: Message edited by: crazyadam ]

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.