Brake Bleeding?

5 replies to this topic
  • dmxracing

Posted June 02, 2002 - 08:13 PM

I just installed a new brake line and I am having a hard time getting all of the air out of my brake system. I initially filled the brake system through the bottom by using some fuel line and a pump bottle til brake fluid came up through the reservoir at the master cylinder. After doing this the brake lever would engage when it was very close to the grip and I think air was still in the line. Do you guys push the caliper pistons in before bleeding the brake through the bottom? I then bled the brakes the normal way but still tons of air bubbles were coming out and I could not get them all out. Do you guys have any tips or other ideas??? Thanks

• Boit

Posted June 02, 2002 - 08:33 PM

You are almost "there". Continue with bleeding from the bottom now. Once you are satisfied that no more air is being bled from the bottom, tap on the brakeline with your wrench. . . all the way from as near to the caliper and then work your way to the master cylinder, and then bleed again. If you go through all the steps of bleeding and the brake is still mushy, look for a leak. Those metal "o" rings can sometimes not make a good seal. Look for leaks.

• Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted June 02, 2002 - 08:40 PM

Try bleeding it the regular way after fluid is in it. All you have to do is make shure you open the bleed valve with pressure on the pedal or lever, and make shure you close the valve before the lever hits the end. Also make shure your resivior doesn't run dry.

[ June 02, 2002: Message edited by: mxrider426 ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MN_Kevin

Posted June 02, 2002 - 09:32 PM

if you haven't done it already, hang your entire brake assembly up somewhere to allow the air to rise naturally in your brake line. The loop that exists in your brakeline while installed maybe very difficult to bleed.

I replaced my brake line w/ SS, and pumped it all in from the bottom. Worked quite well. But I did hang my brake assembly as already mentioned.

• The_Missile

Posted June 03, 2002 - 12:53 AM

Get a Mity Vac II - I Picked one up for about 25$ I think. Make sure you teflon tape the bleed screw (but not the 'hole') & make sure your reservoir doesnt empty itself when using. If you have installed stock brake line routing, definately do as NH Kevin suggests otherwise you may still end up with some air bubbles in the kink - however, the mityvac should take care of those.

I guess you have removed your brake pads to avoid getting brake fluid on them - also clean your disk with acetone if it has had any fluid spilled on it...it will get into your pads and you wont brake anymore!!! Makes for interesting riding !!

• brockr

Posted June 03, 2002 - 07:38 PM

Mighty Vac is the only way to go. harbor frieght $25 same exact bleader sells for $50 at Napa. You'll end up bleeding your brakes every time the fluid gets a little dake and it keeps your brake feeling crisp.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.