Old horse => YZ cam and grey wire in WR426- help?

5 replies to this topic
  • Disco

Posted May 19, 2004 - 04:13 AM

Sorry to beat this 'ol horse into the ground, but in researching the mods, it seems that most everyone agrees that the grey wire on the WR should be disconnected in order to get YZ timing. What I havent been able to find out is if having the YZ450 exhaust cam makes any difference with the grey wire connected or disconnected.

Basically what I'm curious about is this: now that I have the YZ450 exhaust cam, will my '01 WR426 benefit by having the grey wire disconnected? If it matters, I have the YZ exhaust and JD jetting kit too. I realize it is a pretty easy to find out by disconnecting the wire, but I'm hoping someone who has the same mods can give me their advice.

Thanks and sorry if this has already been addressed. :thumbsup:

DD

• jchantzWR400F

Posted May 19, 2004 - 04:26 AM

From what I've always understood, by disconnecting the grey wire, you will be using yz ignition mapping vs the wr ignition mapping.

For your set up, definitely disconnect the grey wire.

• Shuffler

Posted June 11, 2004 - 10:17 AM

regarding the grey wire disconnect, how the @#$%^! do you get the wire pulled out of the connector (rather than cutting the wire)? I was dicking around with a jeweler's screwdriver trying to figure out how the snap release works, and had no luck. :thumbsup: I don't want to cut the wire, either. Is it easier to remove the grey wire from the male connector, or the female connector? What's the trick to getting the damn thing pulled out?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • captain_S

Posted June 11, 2004 - 12:43 PM

Does the grey wire mod apply to the euro 01-426?,as for poppin the male pin on the plug,it works kinda like the barb on a fishing hook! :thumbsup:

• Fryboy

Posted June 12, 2004 - 05:19 AM

regarding the grey wire disconnect, how the @#$%^! do you get the wire pulled out of the connector (rather than cutting the wire)? I was dicking around with a jeweler's screwdriver trying to figure out how the snap release works, and had no luck. :thumbsup: I don't want to cut the wire, either. Is it easier to remove the grey wire from the male connector, or the female connector? What's the trick to getting the damn thing pulled out?

Hey Shuffler,

I had the same problem getting mine out. What I ended up doing was getting a small philps screw driver and placing where the wire is crimped in the Mulix connector and push. If you do it right it will push right out. Don't forget to cover the connector with electrical tape

For what it's worth, I noticed absolutely nothing with my grey wire removed.

Fryboy

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted June 13, 2004 - 07:17 AM

piece of cake I had my gray wire pulled for the connector in a matter of seconds

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.