Need advice on a 2001 YZF426

9 replies to this topic
  • RodFugler

Posted May 19, 2004 - 03:38 AM

I read an ad about a 2001 YZF426 for sale, $2500, is this a good price? also I do not know anything about this bike, I have been riding a modified KDX200, which is fast but lacks the torque that I am looking for, I took a friends XR400 out for a ride and thought it was heavy, low on power, but could climb anything, I also owned a DRZ400 which I did not like either. I have been riding all of my life (44 years old), I ride fairly agressive, I am looking for a bike to race enduros for the first time next year.
any advice from you guys would be appreciated.
Here are the specs:
1. LCS system II suspension,
( w/ race tech Gold Vavles, and front and rear springs;
set for 175 lbs expert x-country rider)
2. White Bros exhaust
3. Titanium header
4. Black Excel wheels
5. Works alum. skid plate
6. 3.2 IMS tank+ stock tank
7. Cycra bark busters
8. Moose heavy duty rear rotor
9. Moose Steel braided brake line
10. $300 carb mod. (Apparently re-vents carb some how making it start easier
11. Dr. D hot start
12. Pro tapers
13. Scott stearing dampner mount
14. Extra seat and plastic
15. 4.5 oz flywheel weight
+ more.

• revolucien

Posted May 19, 2004 - 04:31 AM

well the 426 is gonna be lighter and more aggressive than the XR and the drz without question. if your used to an electric start the 426 is a little more tricky starting. it will be a big jump in performance from your current bike and the price looks good for the amount of mods he has done to it.

• yz_for_me

Posted May 19, 2004 - 08:22 AM

That sounds like a great price, especially considering all the mods, assuming everything is in good shape. I would jump all over that one. In this area most people are asking $3500 or even more sometimes for 426's.

It looks like the current owner has it pretty well set up for enduro so you won't really need to do much if anything to it. :thumbsup:

• RCannon

Posted May 19, 2004 - 10:17 AM

Have you looked at it. The low price and the nature of th emods makes me think it might have been raced hard.

Hopefully the condition is great, but it never hurts to be cautious.

• RodFugler

Posted May 19, 2004 - 01:54 PM

I am going to look at it Saturday, the owner is in the air force and is being transfered to North Dakota, which is why the low price.
what should I look for as far as problems with the YZF426?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 19, 2004 - 03:26 PM

Anything that suggests poor maintenence habits; funky air filters, dirty oil, etc.

Things that suggest a lot of hours on the bike.

Check the clutch to for smooth engagement. if it's grabby and/or drags, it could have a bad basket and be generally beat up.

• sirthumpalot

Posted May 20, 2004 - 02:49 AM

The 01' was a solid year, by then most of the bugs were gone. I've never heard of that carb mod though, that's interesting.

Anyway, check the normal stuff. Have a look at the air filter, oil and oil filter, it should all be spotless. Some very small flakes of metal in the oil filter are normal, big chunks are not. If the oil is black don't buy it. That means he didn't even change it to impress a potential buyer, so he definitely didn't change it on schedule. These things do require more maintenance then something like an XR, and that includes more frequent oil changes. In short, that's a good year, if it's in good shape then go for it!

• 4two6stroker

Posted May 20, 2004 - 03:46 AM

I will agree if the bike looks good and not too beat the price is low. I will worn you the bike takes time to learn to start. It's a good and bad thing but can be elimitated at a small price. The good thing is nobody will ask to take your bike for a ride, because if you don't know the drill forget it. The bad is the drill itself it just takes time. In a race expect to get passed as you do the drill after a stall. You can change the cam to an auto-decomp cam and this makes starting a dream. Your eyes may bleed from the read but all the info is in this forum. I was ready to sell my bike. I have now done the cam mod plus others that TT has brought to my attention. I can tell you now it's a hole new bike with gobbs of power. I say go for it the 426 is a really good bike. It leans to to heavy side but when in flight the feel is normal. Good luck let us know. :thumbsup:

• RodFugler

Posted May 20, 2004 - 11:01 AM

Thanks to everybody for their helpful advice, I will probably buy it if the bike checks out.

• RCannon

Posted May 20, 2004 - 02:39 PM

One specific part I look at on all used bikes is the lower frame rails directly under the engine. Most people never bother to clean this area. It also shows signs if it has been jumped a lot (or short) by having smashed tubes.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.