new owner ,help grey wire etc.

8 replies to this topic
  • 4evrpinned

Posted May 18, 2004 - 03:27 PM

just bought 04 wr450 today ,where exactly do you find and cut grey wire ,what exactly do you do to the air box. the mechanic at the dealer said he took the screw out of the throttle stop is that going to make it the same as the yzf? :thumbsup:

• Disco

Posted May 18, 2004 - 03:54 PM

Check out the faqlist on the free mods:

http://www.thumperfa...ree_mods.htm#WR

If you have questions still, there are relevant links at the bottom. My buddy is afraid to remove the throttle stop on his '04, but after riding his and compared to my '01, this is a "must do" mod. It wont make your bike like a YZ, but it will give you the power when you need it. Your bike definitely has the power, and the throttle stop is a good way to get to it.

congrats on the new bike!

• PBDBLUE

Posted May 18, 2004 - 04:21 PM

There is some opinion out there that removing the throttle stop screw is a bad idea and may be the cause of cracks in the slide plate. The safe bet is to install the YZ throttle stop which allows the throttle to open fully but not any further. The part # for the YZ screw is 5JG-14591-00-00. Cost is $12.

• mtrablue

Posted May 18, 2004 - 05:36 PM

ditto on the yz screw. there was a service bullitn for the '03's that gave the correct length if you want to cut it yourself. check out offroad.com and the wr450 project bike. they cover most of the free mods.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PBDBLUE

Posted May 18, 2004 - 05:40 PM

I was going to suggest cutting it but it sounds like the dealer may not have given it to him. :thumbsup:

• Desert_Storm

Posted May 19, 2004 - 12:30 PM

If you do the grey wire mod, I suggest installing a switch instead of just diconnecting it. I've done this and it comes in handy when going on tight, technical hill climbs (with the switch in "YZ mode" (grey wire disconnected)) then I switch it back to "WR mode" (grey wire connected) and it screams when racing through long/straight trails in the desert :awww:. It's nice to be able to switch back and forth, it's like having two bikes in one. The grey wire mod along with the shorter throttle screw are what made me feel a difference in mine.

If you go with a switch, I heard you have to turn off the ignition and then flip the switch, and then turn the ignition back on. I do this because I don't want to mess up the computer or anything but if anyone knows for a fact that it can be done without switching off the ignition, let me know please. I see it as holding in the clutch before changing gears.
Hope this helps.
Nice bike btw. :thumbsup:

• SteadyEddy

Posted May 19, 2004 - 05:59 PM

If you do the grey wire mod, I suggest installing a switch instead of just diconnecting it. I've done this and it comes in handy when going on tight, technical hill climbs (with the switch in "YZ mode" (grey wire disconnected)) then I switch it back to "WR mode" (grey wire connected) and it screams when racing through long/straight trails in the desert :awww:. It's nice to be able to switch back and forth, it's like having two bikes in one. The grey wire mod along with the shorter throttle screw are what made me feel a difference in mine.

If you go with a switch, I heard you have to turn off the ignition and then flip the switch, and then turn the ignition back on. I do this because I don't want to mess up the computer or anything but if anyone knows for a fact that it can be done without switching off the ignition, let me know please. I see it as holding in the clutch before changing gears.
Hope this helps.
Nice bike btw. :thumbsup:

I haven't cut mine yet, but is it really that noticeable?
if it is, where abouts did you mount your switch? :lol:

• xteamrider

Posted May 20, 2004 - 08:18 AM

If you do the grey wire mod, I suggest installing a switch instead of just diconnecting it.

What kind of switch did you use? Any pics of how/where you mounted it?

• Desert_Storm

Posted May 20, 2004 - 01:47 PM

Just a toggle (on/off) switch located right under the throttle cables near the throttle grip. There's a nice little empty space right there. I just used some black zip-ties, it hasn't moved since.

Here's a link to a switch that looks like the one I use.
http://www1.boatersw...e&prp=198422008

You'll notice a pretty big difference. It's more zippy now :thumbsup:. It accelerates faster, you shift gears sooner, and has a lot of torque for hills, tight turns, wheelies, etc. The way it is now (as a WR) is great for street, long/straight trails and just pulling through the desert. It doesn't hurt to use a switch and I havn't heard of any adverse affects of disconnecting the grey wire. If/when you disconnect it, do it far from the junction so incase you ever want to put it back as it was, it'll be easy to do. Don't just yank the thing out :awww:.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.