Buddy/Passenger Pegs for my WR

26 replies to this topic
  • Taewa

Posted May 18, 2004 - 11:55 AM

I want to put passenger pegs on my '99 WR 400, so that I can give my girlfriend and other friends a ride from time to time. I would like it best if I can remove them (not weld them) when I go ride alone with the boyz. Does anyone know of a decent product out there that will work with my model? I'm not picky about looks or top-of-the-line products, just something that will work. Thanks!

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted May 18, 2004 - 02:29 PM

yeah I'd be interested in this also...

I want to put passenger pegs on my '99 WR 400, so that I can give my girlfriend and other friends a ride from time to time. I would like it best if I can remove them (not weld them) when I go ride alone with the boyz. Does anyone know of a decent product out there that will work with my model? I'm not picky about looks or top-of-the-line products, just something that will work. Thanks!

• SteadyEddy

Posted May 18, 2004 - 09:02 PM

I found these here in Australia, dont know if that would help ya :thumbsup: Go to accessoories/footpegs

http://www.ballards....cts/default.htm

PILLION PEGS

They're cheap and nasty! But hey, for $28 they're reasonably priced, plus they'll do the job as long as you're not planning on taking her across the Nully. She'll think they're sweet, so that's all the REALLY matters.
ORDER CODE: 45-FR60 $28.00 AUD

• Math

Posted May 20, 2004 - 09:19 AM

Hi!

I'm gonna be able to send you some pics of the job I have done on mine in a few minutes/hours so stay tuned...

• ddialogue

Posted May 20, 2004 - 03:39 PM

Waiting...waiting...waiting... :thumbsup:

• Math

Posted May 23, 2004 - 04:50 AM

OK sorry for the delay guys...

This is a copy of a post I've sent last november. I would have like to send you the link but the pics are not there anymore so I'm building this post again with the pics.

This is a view of the left side buddy peg. You,ll see on those two pics the little welding job to put on some brackets to bolt the pegs on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is a view from the right side. Notice that 1) the u-shaped bracket of the peg bolts over the CRD frame protector 2) that it is not perfectly aligned with the other one on the left side 3) where it bolts.
My wife doesn't notice the little difference in the alignment...

Posted Image

Closer view

Posted Image

On these 2 picks you can notice that a little cylindrical shim was welded behind the upper holding arm of the right bracket. This was done to allow the bracket to reach the mounting hole of the subrame without squeezing the CRD frame protector.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This shot shows the holes in which the u-shaped bracket bolts: the upper arm bolts into the subframe original hole and the second arm bolts into the lower hole of the rear brake switch. We had to drill and tap that lower hole of the rear brake switch in order to use a bigger bolt and make it more solid. That switch is not made of steel so you have to be careful, drilling, taping and even bolting...

Posted Image

Finally, if you want to do the exact same installation, note the orientation of the pegs because the two holding arms of the u-shaped brackets are not the same lenght. On the left side, the short arm is on top. On the right side, the long one is on top. You will have to adjust the orientation of the footrests thereafter...

My wife (5'8'' 155 pounds) and I (6'1'' 170)went through 3000Km of road and about 300 of trails with that set up last year and everything went fine. It is still holding great. I even crashed with those pegs in place but did not break them. You have to be carefull while kickstarting though, specially if you have long feet :awww:

HTH :thumbsup:

• Math

Posted May 23, 2004 - 05:10 AM

What the f... :thumbsup:

My post looks OK on the preview and then pics don't show up once sent on the forum.

Do you guys see my pics?

• ddialogue

Posted May 23, 2004 - 05:37 AM

Not seeing the photos, Math!

• Math

Posted May 23, 2004 - 05:45 AM

Hi buddy!

I've sent an e-mail to imagestation and they told me it was possible that they have a problem. They are not stating why though. They say there are looking to make the situation beetter.

By then, I can see them one time out of two. Try opening this thread a couple of times. I was able to see em twice. So I know they are posted correctly.

• Math

Posted May 23, 2004 - 06:06 AM

OK, I found out what is going wrong. I will have to upload those images again on imagestation. Gonna do this tonight or tomorrow morning cause I'm on a hurry.

Sorry to keep you waiting

Math

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gomopar440

Posted May 24, 2004 - 06:03 AM

While you got the tools out, you might want to look after that slack in the chain :thumbsup:.

• Math

Posted May 24, 2004 - 07:33 AM

While you got the tools out, you might want to look after that slack in the chain

hummm.... :thumbsup:

• gomopar440

Posted May 24, 2004 - 08:02 AM

The chain just looks really loose in the left side pic looking down on the rear peg. I was just pointing out a possible problem that could ruin a perfectly good riding day. :thumbsup:

• Math

Posted May 24, 2004 - 10:56 AM

:awww: Thanks buddy.

You are right, the chain looks loose on the pic.

In fact, (I don't know if you have the same observation) when I check the tension of my chain, I go with the specs of the manual. Then if I step back to have a look at it, each time it seems to be too loose... Anyway.

:thumbsup:

• SteadyEddy

Posted May 24, 2004 - 11:36 AM

I go with the specs of the manual. Then if I step back to have a look at it, each time it seems to be too loose... Anyway.

:awww:

I have the same problem, I have done the 2 inch rule/ three fingers and when having a look at it. It looks real loose :thumbsup:

• yamaha.dude

Posted May 24, 2004 - 12:02 PM

Don't worry about the loose chain as you look at the bike... sit on it, and the suspension sag will soon bring it into line... :thumbsup:

Cheers,

David

• Math

Posted May 24, 2004 - 12:58 PM

Yeah, I always chose not to worry about it because I never had chain-related problems during a ride and I've always worked with the specs...

Thanks for your comment Dude :thumbsup:

• ddialogue

Posted May 24, 2004 - 02:47 PM

Math,

Great photos! So, where'd you pick up the u-shaped brackets and pegs from?

• SteadyEddy

Posted May 24, 2004 - 05:55 PM

yer nice work Math :thumbsup:
looks good, ill have to do something similar for the wife..

• Taewa

Posted May 25, 2004 - 06:39 AM

Yeah...thanks to Math for all the hard work and dilligence. We all see how important it is to keep the Ladies happy. As long as they are happy, they'll allow us to keep riding on saturdays!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.