Axle Bolt/Nut

7 replies to this topic
  • TimBrp

Posted May 18, 2004 - 09:57 AM

Hey guys. Been out a few times this year on the pig and I can tell you one thing. If you do a tear-down DO NOT tighten important moving parts to factory tolerances. They loosen up. So on that note my axle nut continues to loosen up on rides where I'm break-sliding alot. Anyone ever drill a hole through their axle and nut to apply a cotterpin? I'm curious if this is worth it or will it decrease strength in the axle? Any thoughts?

• SaltyWalrus

Posted May 18, 2004 - 10:07 AM

I just stand on the wrench until my calibrated foot tells me I've met my torque setting. I haven't had problems with any of the notorious hardware loosening (footpegs, etc.). I have, however, lost small stuff that I am afraid to blue loctite. A radiator shroud bolt and a side-panel bolt.

• irondude

Posted May 18, 2004 - 10:58 AM

There are aftermarket lock nuts for the rear axle. Might be a bit more expensive, but it will look cool...i had a rear axle nut back off at an Adelanto GP--not good!

I too use my foot to loosen it, and tighten it down very snug.

• TimBrp

Posted May 18, 2004 - 02:37 PM

I'm a firm believer in tightening things down, believe me. I've had my fair share of snapped bolts. Two last weekend to be exact...lol. When I tighten mine the tire doesn't spin freely sometimes. I wonder if it has any added stress on bearings and the like? Maybe it was just breaking in. Irondude where can I get some of those aftermarket ones? ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tirebiter

Posted May 18, 2004 - 04:15 PM

TimBrp,
Just a thought, bearings ok?
Here's a link for spacers. http://www.xrsonly.c...xr650r_acc.html

• irondude

Posted May 19, 2004 - 01:58 PM

Double check that they come in 27mm-fairly certain they are-but ask first...
www.dual-star.com/index2/Brand/Kawasaki/axle_nuts_kawasaki.htm

• moto9

Posted May 19, 2004 - 09:04 PM

I Do it to all my bikes except I drill it so that the nut can be safety wired independant of the axel, this is done so that the nut can be set at any position on the axel.
I wire both axel nuts the crown nut and the front sprocket bolt.

• TimBrp

Posted May 20, 2004 - 01:22 AM

How does that work without drilling through the axle?

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.