01 WR426 Spark Arrester Question

2 replies to this topic
  • wr_tree

Posted May 18, 2004 - 07:43 AM


Guys - Just purchased a brand-new 01 WR426. It comes with the stock exaust/core. The owner of the shop said Yamaha "plugs it up" for CA. What do I need to do/buy to "unplug" it so that it a)runs well b)is forrest service approved c)does not piss off my neighbors and fellow campers with the noise? I do not want to add to their already screwed-up misconception of ohv riders. Any ideas you could share would be greatly appreciated. Or, do I even need to do anything? The bike is currently being shipped to me so I have a few days to figure this out.



Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted May 18, 2004 - 08:00 AM


If you want to stay with the stock exhaust you can replace the core with a GYT or Pro Moto Billet insert for about $40. It will open the bike up a bit but still meet the 96 db rule. I have a GYT on my dual sport 426. It works well. I've heard that the PMB gives just a bit more power.

  • jim-in-so-ore

Posted May 18, 2004 - 08:03 AM


WR tree,
To unplug your bike , take the 10mm bolt out of the exhaust tip that is in the side of the pipe towards the tire. Slip out the baffle and replace it with a GYT-R or Promoto Billet insert. Either one of these will increase the power and are below the 96db sound check. They can be had for $30.00 to $40.00. You should also yank out the restrictor inside the top of the air cleaner box. Study it a little and you can figure out what to do to get it out. Hope this answers your questions.


Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.