WR450F Exhaust Stock Spark Arrester

15 replies to this topic
  • Don123

Posted May 18, 2004 - 07:02 AM

I have a 2004 WR450F, the stock spark arrester has now broken for the second time. Can anyone advise me on a after market replacement that still meets forester requirements.
Thanks in Advance,
Don123

• PBDBLUE

Posted May 18, 2004 - 07:16 AM

What's breaking? I thought those things were bullet proof. They ought to be they weigh a ton.

• trunkmonkey55

Posted May 18, 2004 - 07:41 AM

mine has also broken. Mine broke right where it bolts to the pipe. :thumbsup:

• xteamrider

Posted May 18, 2004 - 02:01 PM

This just happened to me last weekend! I was riding when i heard this hella loud ratteling, I look back and my spark arrestor is all hanging out. My plan is to toss the broke one and get a GYT-R tommorow to fix it. I'll let you know how it goes:

GYT-R Link

• PBDBLUE

Posted May 18, 2004 - 02:17 PM

Are all you guys saying the insert broke or the muffler? I use a socket head bolt that I drilled and safety wired to make sure my GYT insert doesn't come out.

• Guest_dsornot2ds_*

Posted May 18, 2004 - 03:25 PM

I thought WR 's ran like crap with the stock inserts! I was thinking of getting a WR in October, but after reading alot of posts on various problems, I'm leaning towards a KTM. Does anyone know when the 05's come out? Maybe Yamaha will surprise us yet again!! :awww: :thumbsup:

• vtec

Posted May 18, 2004 - 04:41 PM

my friend has a less than 2 month old wr450 and on the 3rd or 4th ride the stock baffle broke where the bolt goes into it! :lol: i thought to myself " what a piece of crap bike "

he wanted to keep it quiet so i bought him a pro moto billet insert for his BRAND NEW bike! :thumbsup:

i was also thinking about buying a ktm untill i talked to some guys that have them! you spend $7000 for a ktm,the springs are really soft ( re spring = at least $160 ), they run real lean and need to be rejetted ( tunning time! ) they also told me that if i where to cook a ktm's top end that it would put me back about $1000 for parts.

ktm can kiss my :awww: hopefully honda builds a crf450x or yamaha puts an aluminum frame on the wr's. maybe suzuki will make a woods version of the new rmz450? so far my modded crf450 just keeps going and going and going.....

• mtrablue

Posted May 18, 2004 - 05:06 PM

okay, lets get this straight. the spark arrestor is the screen inside the muffler. it can be accessed by removing three bolts. the noise baffle goes in the end of the pipe. it is held in with one bolt. if you are still using the stock baffle (one bolt) go out in the garage, right now, remove it and throw it away. cough up forty bucks and buy the gytr insert. you will meet the 96db requirement and will be much happier with you bike.
as far as waiting for bikes that may never be produced, i'd rather go riding.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ddialogue

Posted May 18, 2004 - 05:14 PM

...if you are still using the stock baffle (one bolt) go out in the garage, right now, remove it and throw it away...

Better yet, sell the WR and buy a XR because that's the kind of performance they're getting with the stock baffle.

It amazes me that anyone would base the quality of a bike on the the exhaust baffle. :thumbsup:

• mtrablue

Posted May 18, 2004 - 05:30 PM

it seems fewer and fewer dealers are helping the buyers with the "free mods". they probably have the stock throttle stop and air box snorkle in also.

• ddialogue

Posted May 18, 2004 - 05:38 PM

That's unfortunate. Atleast a lot of them are discovering TT!! :thumbsup:

• WR450F_RDR

Posted May 18, 2004 - 06:39 PM

If you want to really wake your WR up, toss the stock exhaust. I put a FMF Powercore on mine and difference in performance is worth the money spent. I only wish I had done it sooner.

• vtec

Posted May 18, 2004 - 07:10 PM

i am hopeing real soon that my friend does all the mods to his new wr450 but you see the thing is he bought a used 2000 wr400 and who ever owned it before him did all the mods but they messed the jetting up so bad that it would foul plugs after a couple of rides. for two years he messed with this bike trying to get it right and finnaly he just said " screw it " and bought a new one!

for right now he just doesn't want to mess with it! but i know that sooner and not later he will do all the mods.

also i am not judging the bike on the exhaust baffle. i am judging the quality of the workmanship on that part! that part should not break after a few rides on one bike let alone the other ones that have broke on other peoples bikes on this post ( read above )! truthfully if i could combine some of his wr with my crf i would be totally happy :thumbsup:

• ddialogue

Posted May 19, 2004 - 03:15 AM

It's all good, VTEC. :thumbsup:

• RichBaker

Posted May 19, 2004 - 06:56 PM

Yamaha knows that most, if not all of us, are going to toss that thing and run without or with an aftermarket insert. The only purpose for the stock insert is to pass the EPA noise limit to get it into the country.....why waste much money on that??
I have never ridden my WR with the stock insert! :awww:

also i am not judging the bike on the exhaust baffle. i am judging the quality of the workmanship on that part! that part should not break after a few rides on one bike let alone the other ones that have broke on other peoples bikes on this post ( read above )! truthfully if i could combine some of his wr with my crf i would be totally happy :thumbsup:

• xteamrider

Posted May 20, 2004 - 08:11 AM

That's unfortunate. Atleast a lot of them are discovering TT!! :thumbsup:

I'd be lost with out TT. I have no local dirt bike friends (and the people I know in CA all ride Hondas) so everything I'm learning is here. I just got my GYT insert and YZ throttle stop last night at the shop. I'm planning on doing all the 'free mods' this Saturday before I head out and ride. Thanks for the wealth of good info everyone!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.