New owner of WR450 - Help!!

16 replies to this topic
  • hoghead450

Posted May 18, 2004 - 04:44 AM

I purchased a new WR450 (2003) last week. I have reviewed many of the posts on Thumper Talk and I am planning to due the following, based on what I have read.

1) I have ordered the throttle stop for the YZ 450.
2) I have ordered the YZF exhaust end to replace the stock one.
3) I will take out the air box restricter.
4) I will disconnect the gray wire.

My question is, how much will this improve the performance of the bike. The reason I ask is, I took the bike out last weekend and rode it bone stock. I wanted to try it out without mods to see how it ran.

The bike was broken in per the owner’s manual. Then I changed the oil, filter, and cleaned the screen.

I took the bike out on Sunday under the following conditions.

Cloudy day, about 60 – 65 degrees, trails were wet, but not too muddy.

I am 6-2 , about 195 lbs.

The bike starts fine and seemed to run okay during the break-in period, but once out on the trail I noticed the following.

1) Compared to my prior bike, a 97 RMX250 (stock except for Pro Circuit Pipe + silencer), the WR450 seemed weak on power. Hills that I always did in second gear on the RMX, the WR seemed to really struggle. Sometimes I would end up in first gear to make the hill. Is this normal? I was expecting the WR to be nearly as strong as a new 250 2-stroke. My 7 year old RMX will easily out run the stock WR in a drag race. My son’s 99 KLX300 (with Big Gun exhaust) will beat the WR in a drag race by a slight amount. ( My son is about 20 lbs lighter than I am)

2) Then, after riding a fairly tight section, mostly second gear for a couple of miles, I rode up a tough rocky hill, probably a 100 yards long, in low gear, lots of throttle to the top. By the time I got to the top of the hill the bike was steaming and boiling over !! The radiator was not blocked or covered in mud. The bike was full of coolant when I started.

My questions are as follows.

Is the performance level seem right for a stock bike?

Will the mods make in run right?

Why did the bike over heat when it was 60 degrees temperature? I have rode this same trail in the midlle of summer ( 90 degrees +) with several different bikes and I have never had a overheating problem?

Is there a factory recall on a woodruff key that I should get done? The local dealer denies this recall, but I have read about it on the internet.

TIA – I know this is long, but I would like to get this lined out before going a on big ride.

Hoghead 450

• PBDBLUE

Posted May 18, 2004 - 05:01 AM

I know there will be those that disagree but the first thing I would do is upgrade to the '04 starter parts. There is now a bushing available so you won't need to purchase a new side cover. I'm not sure what the part # is but do a search or maybe someone can post it here. Total cost ~$250 but well worth it IMO. See this link for details:

450 Starter Mod

As for performance if you still had the stock throttle stop and exhaust insert in on your ride expect the performance to be very meager. Once you do the mods and rejet to JD or YZ spec you will notice a huge difference. If your still hungry for more power put the YZ exhaust cam in. The thing will turn into a monster. Properly mod'd the bike will hang with or beat any of the 250 2-smokes.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted May 18, 2004 - 05:39 AM

I agree with the upgraded starter.. Mine simply stopped working on my 03.. Yamaha fixed it for free. When I first got the bike I took it into the shop and had my mechanic re-torque the flywheel nut, I never sheered a Key. I put that bike through hell, 100 degree plus long desert races, nothing but great performace..

As far as the bike's power, I didn't read what your jetting is but STOCK jetting always worked perfect for me.. I'm in socal and the bike ran sputter free and never hesitated with stock jetting. I put a PC pipe on the bike took the lid off (no grey wire) and no throttle stop, my bike could easily out run a 250 2 stroke with no problem.. If you have a manual get the jetting specs out, take your carb off the bike and look and see what's in there.. My advice is to look at the carb... Oh, and the little KLX should be about half as fast... Not even close...

My question is, how much will this improve the performance of the bike. The reason I ask is, I took the bike out last weekend and rode it bone stock. I wanted to try it out without mods to see how it ran.

Night and day! Period!!

Best of luck..

Dan :thumbsup:

• PBDBLUE

Posted May 18, 2004 - 05:57 AM

One thing to remember is that when the 03's came out they were woefully lean with a 150 main jet and I think a 42 pilot jet. The 04's come with a 165 main jet and a 45 pilot. I'm not sure if they switched over on the later 03's. YZ or JD jetting won't have a significant impact on the top end but will improve the power down on the bottom to mid range.

• simch

Posted May 18, 2004 - 06:00 AM

My 04 ran like a dog when restricted, but once de restricted (throttle stop, needle and main jet -all supplied wihtt he bike new) it absolutely rips your arms out!! Seriously fast bike, quicker than my cr 250 crosser by a long way!! you will not be dissappointed by its performance mate!!

• ckulzer

Posted May 18, 2004 - 06:56 AM

Hoghead450,
I would suspect that alot of the heat issues are coming from the very lean jetting from stock. That would explain your lack of power too. That thing should RIP.

I have had great luck with the settings in my signature.

Ride fast - take chances.

Chad

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted May 18, 2004 - 02:25 PM

Just wait until you do/get those mods done. I just bought a 2004 WR450F last month and did all the mods. Stock it runs like crap. With the mods you will have more power than you will need. Believe me this bike is a rocket ship!

I purchased a new WR450 (2003) last week. I have reviewed many of the posts on Thumper Talk and I am planning to due the following, based on what I have read.

1) I have ordered the throttle stop for the YZ 450.
2) I have ordered the YZF exhaust end to replace the stock one.
3) I will take out the air box restricter.
4) I will disconnect the gray wire.

The bike was broken in per the owner’s manual. Then I changed the oil, filter, and cleaned the screen.

I took the bike out on Sunday under the following conditions.

Cloudy day, about 60 – 65 degrees, trails were wet, but not too muddy.

I am 6-2 , about 195 lbs.

The bike starts fine and seemed to run okay during the break-in period, but once out on the trail I noticed the following.

1) Compared to my prior bike, a 97 RMX250 (stock except for Pro Circuit Pipe + silencer), the WR450 seemed weak on power. Hills that I always did in second gear on the RMX, the WR seemed to really struggle. Sometimes I would end up in first gear to make the hill. Is this normal? I was expecting the WR to be nearly as strong as a new 250 2-stroke. My 7 year old RMX will easily out run the stock WR in a drag race. My son’s 99 KLX300 (with Big Gun exhaust) will beat the WR in a drag race by a slight amount. ( My son is about 20 lbs lighter than I am)

2) Then, after riding a fairly tight section, mostly second gear for a couple of miles, I rode up a tough rocky hill, probably a 100 yards long, in low gear, lots of throttle to the top. By the time I got to the top of the hill the bike was steaming and boiling over !! The radiator was not blocked or covered in mud. The bike was full of coolant when I started.

My questions are as follows.

Is the performance level seem right for a stock bike?

Will the mods make in run right?

Why did the bike over heat when it was 60 degrees temperature? I have rode this same trail in the midlle of summer ( 90 degrees +) with several different bikes and I have never had a overheating problem?

Is there a factory recall on a woodruff key that I should get done? The local dealer denies this recall, but I have read about it on the internet.

TIA – I know this is long, but I would like to get this lined out before going a on big ride.

Hoghead 450

• timvv51

Posted May 18, 2004 - 05:33 PM

With an 03 checking the flywheel torque and or having the flywheel lapped and glued as per the service bulletin is a must. The dealer should have already done this and there is a stamp on the frame # that should confirm but check with the dealer. I would not recommend riding again till this is done. Dont risk a sheared flywheel key. It can cause more problems. I agree that your overheating is from the lean stock jetting. If you do the intake and exhaust mod it will be even leaner. Do the mods and gets some big jets and prepare to hang on. As for the starter, well mine kicks so easy I just havent been able to spend the money for the upgrade. You have a great bike, sort a few things out and you will see. Tim

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mparrish

Posted May 18, 2004 - 06:23 PM

I just picked up my new 04 last week and rode it around for about two hours stock. I actually thought it ran pretty good, until I took out the baffle in the exhaust and disconnected the grey wire. Wow, what a difference. I had to order the throttle stop. It should be in on Thursday so I am anxious to get that part done. My only complaint is the noise with the bike uncorked, but it will climb anything.

• ovrrdrive

Posted May 18, 2004 - 11:07 PM

Here's a link that details the woodruff key issue...

http://www.off-road....4/runright.html

Here's hoping the engine wasn't damaged in the overheat...

• PBDBLUE

Posted May 19, 2004 - 03:11 AM

That article is very dated and was published long before Yamaha figured out the correct fix for the problem. The 'Lap and Loctite" fix was just a bandaid for the problem and actually led to other problems on the '03's (such as cracked side covers, starter clutches, broken gears, etc). I highly recommend you DO NOT let the dealer perform the TSB. The correct fix is to install the '04 starter components. There have been numerous reports of failures after the TSB was performed but to date I have not heard of any failures on '04's. There were a ton of posts on this last year. And BTW kickstarting the bike does not prevent the failure unless you remove the idler gear.

• ddialogue

Posted May 19, 2004 - 03:30 AM

I still think lapping the crank and flywheel on the 03's is a good idea but using Loctite on it was a huge mistake.

• PBDBLUE

Posted May 19, 2004 - 03:34 AM

The lapping probably doesn't hurt but I'm not sure you need it with the '04 parts. Frankly after seeing some of the carnage that resulted from 'loctiting' I think I would rather have a $2 key shear. Has anyone that did the '04 upgrade had a failure?

• ckulzer

Posted May 19, 2004 - 05:49 AM

Keep in mind that not every '03 is going to gernade. I have 700 miles without a clunk. I use the kicker most of the time but I am not afraid to press the botton.

Ride fast-take chances.

Chad

• PBWR450

Posted May 19, 2004 - 06:07 AM

Don't be discouraged. The first time I took my 03 to the woods I seriously looked the bike over because I was sure the bike was a 250 mis-labeled as a 450. Then after removing the exhaust plug it performed better. After that I disconnected the gray wire, shortened the throttle stop and put in a 155 main and 45 pilot that was supplied with the bike. WOW, pulls hard, long and fast like a modern 4-stroke should. I have ridden in some pretty tight 1st and 2nd gear stuff for a few hours at 70-80 degrees without boiling over. I have not updated the starter yet, removed the idler gear and kick start only.

• PBDBLUE

Posted May 19, 2004 - 06:08 AM

Good point. I'm not saying that all 03's are failing but a more than significant number of them are. Many have had several thousand miles on them before they failed. It's really about reliability and peace of mind and how willing you are to be towed or have to walk back to your truck from out in the middle of nowhere. It's sort of like going to Vegas. Again kickstarting does not prevent the problem unless you remove the idler gear.

• StreetbikePimp

Posted May 19, 2004 - 06:33 AM

Do the mods. :thumbsup: You won't be dissapointed.

My DRZ400S has more power then a stock WR450, but once you do the mods, the WR450 is insane.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.