Hot Start Problem...............I don't think it works............

4 replies to this topic
  • XXX_Thumper

Posted May 18, 2004 - 04:14 AM

Here is a little back ground. Bought the '03 450 used. When you pull the hot start it just pulls back and stays, then you have to manually move it back to the off position. Two weeks ago during my first race in 6 years, I pulled the hole shot, was in 1st for one lap and then was 2nd when I fell/got taken out. Ok, it was muddy and I bumped into someone and fell. :thumbsup: It took me 30-45 seconds to get the dang thing started. Needless to say I was in last. Had to just lay the throttle wide open to get it started. I did have the hot start pulled. The bike does flood real easy. I was told that it was jetted up because the person before me had a DR. D pipe on it. It has the stocker on it now.

I unscrewed it from the carb, but I didn't pull it out because the manual is very vague on how to remove it. How do you take the hot start out of the carb and what should I do to check to see if it is working correctly. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• RippinInColorado

Posted May 18, 2004 - 05:47 AM

Unscrew it and pull it straight up. Spray it with silicone all the way around. Replace. You may have to press it in gently with a flat-head screwdriver to get the o-ring into the hole. Do it gently and evenly and be sure to keep it as straight-up-and-down as possible. Should work properly now. :thumbsup:

Welcome back to racing!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tctrailrider

Posted May 18, 2004 - 07:39 AM

With the bike ideling pull the hot start. If working the RPM's should rise.

• XXX_Thumper

Posted May 18, 2004 - 09:08 AM

I'll try these tonight and let you know. :thumbsup:

• XXX_Thumper

Posted May 19, 2004 - 10:22 AM

OK. Pulled it out. Lubed up the cable. I checked the plunger that the cable attached to. It seems to be frozen up. So will just come lubercation like silcon or WD40 work?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.