ktm LC4???

4 replies to this topic
  • pjensen

Posted May 24, 2001 - 05:11 PM

I am looking for a new bike, and I have 3 in mind. They are a wr400, a '98 ktm 400, and a '98 ktm 620sx. My question is, how does the yamaha compare to the ktm's in terms of power? I would imagine that the yamaha is faster than the ktm 400 but slower than the 620. Is this true? If that is true, how much slower/faster are the ktm's? Does anybody know the hp ratings for the ktm's? How reliable are they?
Phil

• Blue_Boner

Posted May 24, 2001 - 08:09 PM

Phil, currently I own a WR400 as well as a 400EXC LC4. The Yamaha is a lighter bike and feels like it has a little more horsepower. The KTM is very reliable and starts MUCH easier than the Yamaha. I have a friend with a 620 and that is a big horsepower bike. The quality of the KTM is way better than the Yamaha. My KTM is for sale only because it is a heavier bike than the Yamaha which makes a big difference on the technical trial riding that I like to do. If interested email me. Eric

------------------
98 WR400 "Strokerized"
97 EXC400
94 RMX250

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Taffy

Posted May 24, 2001 - 10:53 PM

the KTM will be the old model. the new leccy start model only came out last year. if you are comparing a Y2K yam to the old katoom; the yam is a better bike apparently.

i'm not too hot on KTM's so someone tell me. i thought an LC4 was a one-off engine for rally raids etc?

Taffy

[This message has been edited by Taffy (edited 05-25-2001).]

• AhamayWR426

Posted May 25, 2001 - 08:32 AM

I think my biggest issue with the KTM is the price of their replacement parts.. Call a KTM dealer and ask how much a piston is for your model in question..

• Blue_Boner

Posted May 25, 2001 - 10:58 AM

Fellas, some KTM parts may cost more than Japanese parts and some Japanese parts may cost more than KTM parts, generally they even out. People that complain about KTM part availability and cost generally have never owned a KTM, they are just speaking on old rumors. Also, KTM pistons cost more than Japanese pistons because they are forged not cast. I currtently own an LC4 KTM and a WR. The only reason the Yamaha gets ridden is because it is a lighter bike. My Yam will be sold toward the end of 2002 to be replaced by a KTM 520EXC.
Phil, if you need a light bike go with the Yam, if you want a bike for open riding go with the LC4 because it is much more forgiving and stable at high speed.

------------------
98 WR400 "Strokerized"
97 EXC400
94 RMX250

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 05-25-2001).]

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.