any suggestions?

12 replies to this topic
  • freestyle111

Posted May 31, 2002 - 08:41 AM

riding was great last weekend accept it was a little ruff on my bike.i managed to bust right handguard,brake raptor clutch perch,smashed back brake lever,tore front fender off and put hole in pipe.any have any ideas on how i can fix pipe?i would use air pressure accept as you can see there a hole in pipe.i would hate to buy a new pipe.Posted Image

[ June 09, 2002: Message edited by: freestyle111 ]

• Shawn_Mc

Posted May 31, 2002 - 08:46 AM

Weld it up then use the air pressure. Heat and air pressure seems like the deal there.

Question: What did you hit and is it still alive?

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 31, 2002 - 09:19 PM

New Pipe

SHould be able to plug that with tig.

May need a weld shop to heat and pull the dent though. Looks easly repairable
Thats my$4.26

• freestyle111

Posted May 31, 2002 - 10:41 AM

i thinking about welding up hole before i pulled dent,but my only concern is weld will keep dent from popping out.

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 31, 2002 - 10:49 AM

your right , welding or brazing would only harden the area around it and make it a bear to get out (The Dent)

If you have access to a good tourch Accetlin you can work it out by heating it to a amber and gently pulling it back out.

Making a plug to into it is a wise thing. I mean plug like a sheet rock wing that is folds out. You can easly slide one in with the screw attached heat until orange and pull. Once complete unscrew the butterfly let it slide out and weld a plug into it or patch.

motoman has a article on hs site for presurizing the tube to pop it out

All this of course with the pipe off the bike
Good luck :)

[ May 31, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• freestyle111

Posted May 31, 2002 - 11:11 AM

a molley bolt is a good idea.its worth a try.i was thinking of cutting away dented section and patching it.i have arcwelder but pipe is very thin ill have to get some light brassing rod and hope i dont burn through.i dont have much experience welding stainless steel.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John_Lorenz

Posted May 31, 2002 - 11:23 AM

Braze will hold up, for awhile

the best would be to get it tig welded. It is stainless and takes alot of heat Controled to weld. ARC would not do anything but burn holes and make an awfull mess. If you had a mig you could do a better job then a braze.
If I had a Tig I would offer to do it, but I dont so I wont. Times like these I wish I did have a tig again,,,,

[ May 31, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• Sparky_So_Cal

Posted May 31, 2002 - 12:08 PM

OK, don't laugh at this, because it was not my idea, but friend did it on my bike and it worked.

1. Make 2-3 straight marks on pipe about 1" long around the diamater of pipe where the hole is.

2. cut pipe in 2 peices, make sure cut is centered over the hole

3. now you have easy access to to remove all dents ect..

4. Line up straight marks and weld

Again, don't laugh. I would never do this myself, but I have seen it done very well if the welder knows what he is doing

[ May 31, 2002: Message edited by: Sparky So Cal ]

• freestyle111

Posted May 31, 2002 - 04:54 PM

i think i might drill hole on opposite side of dent and use small punch to push out dent i already have to weld 1 hole so 1 more cant hurt

• Mark_Cantrell

Posted May 31, 2002 - 06:40 PM

Get a slide hammer or take it to a body shop with one.

Good luck,

• freestyle111

Posted June 09, 2002 - 11:41 AM

i fixed pipe used heat and slidehammer then welded patch over hole. Posted Image i think i solved any chance of this happening again.i welded 2 nuts on pipe and made this pipeguard so hopefully no more dents or burnt pants. Posted Image Posted Image

[ June 09, 2002: Message edited by: freestyle111 ]

• thumperguy426

Posted June 10, 2002 - 06:35 PM

Hey Freestyle, unless you know how to weld VERY WELL it may be worth your while trying to find a professional welder. My Dad is a professional welder and i have quite a bit of experience and to weld stainless perfectly is very hard. If you do weld it make sure that when your welding that it sound like bacon cooking if not adjust your temp setting. Be sure you have the correct rod #, and the 426 header may be some sort of alloy but im not 100% shure, that would make it an even bigger pain in the butt. hope i helped.
peace out. Oh yeah, ill ask my Dad what kinda rod he would use and then ill get back to you.

• freestyle111

Posted June 10, 2002 - 08:22 PM

i already fixed it.pipe was stainless steel i used wirefeed tig to weld patch over hole.after i pulled dent with slidehammer

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

• Hot  28 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

• Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.