Takin burms

10 replies to this topic
  • Desert_Boy

Posted May 30, 2002 - 11:39 PM

Whats the best way to take burms with a 426? I've heard two schools of thought.(1) Come in hot,pull in the clutch, roll into it, then hit the trottle or (2) Come in hot,use the engine braking with no clutch, then hit the throttle.

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 31, 2002 - 02:45 AM

It really depends on the make up of the berm
Example Loamy Dirt, or Hardpack with Marbles or Sand, How high is the berm how deep.

All in all its a matter of style and experiance

Berms can be tagged just flat out if they are setup that way "Slow Sweeping High Berm Loamy Dirt"

Some you pick a crucial point and just slam it and wak the throttle.

I suggest watching the other riders first if its a fast sweeper or quick turn. Look at the ruts see what line most guys are using. Listen for when they shut off and when they roll back on.

You can pick up a lot of knowledge wacthing some hot shoe or local yocals go through them.....

Good luck

[ May 31, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• Mark_Cantrell

Posted May 31, 2002 - 03:42 AM

Ego is probably an expert on cornering with berms, because he doesn't know squat about cornering on flat turns. See Egos better half for details.

Good luck,
mwc

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 31, 2002 - 04:46 AM

Hey that kid center punched me :)

• freestyle111

Posted May 31, 2002 - 08:21 PM

how far are you planning on taking the berms?berms are usually pretty heavy i suggest excavator and large dump truck , for medium sized berm you might be able to use tractor w/front loader and load it into your buddy's pickup.if it a small berm [like the one egoahole practices on]i would say a couple of shovels and a wheelbarrel will be enough to take berm to its new location.if you plan on taking these berms on freeway make sure you cover with tarp.you dont want to get a ticket.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumper4life

Posted June 01, 2002 - 04:03 AM

lol, no! he wanted to take it on his 426! so he's gonna have to rig up some sorta hitch to the back of his bike, preferablly subframe, and find a trailer with a long nose so he doesnt jack knife it on his bike :) oh, and use freestyles suggestion of a tarp, dont want that berm blowin away ya know.

• John_Lorenz

Posted June 01, 2002 - 04:05 AM

Man you guys can be "sarcastic" :)

DesertBoy
look at this link it shows the proper setup and throttle usage of a perfect berm buster
http://www.thumperta...ic&f=6&t=005824

:D

[ June 01, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• freestyle111

Posted June 01, 2002 - 05:23 AM

whats a berm buster?if its a tractor i'd like to borrow it. i need to take a berm over to my buddy's house we are going to setup up track in his backyard as soon as i figure out a way to take the doubles.

• John_Lorenz

Posted June 01, 2002 - 01:42 PM

A berm buster is actually a secret code word for Super secret agents. They got the nick name berm busters sometime in the late 40's after WWII.

I am told the Brits coined the Phrase, Just so they could have some note worthy thing they have done since WWII :)

Ya see the Brits had the first Chance to start racing and they used old 650 twins. They did not turn very well so the Built Big Ol huge Berms for truns. Well the phrase comes from when a real drunk Brit jumped on his real big heavy 40 incher and just plowed through the Berm.

Hence Berm Busters

• freestyle111

Posted June 01, 2002 - 02:05 PM

i wonder if i could get a few of those brits to give me a hand taking a couple berms.if there not to busy eating crumpets and sipping on tea.that jumping on a forty incher sounds a little bit too kinky for my taste.

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 01, 2002 - 02:50 PM

practice practice practice.. At first I had a hard time with berms, but once you get the hang of it things will start to fall into place. Not all berms are the same, some are easier to enter wide and exit at the inside, and some are easier the other way around, depends on the corner. I personally do better if I roll through the corner, don't use the clutch, and use smooth throttle control. When I try to square it off and shoot out like on a 2-stroke I get worn out too fast. The things that helped me most is stay forward, weight the outside foot peg and keep your elbows up. Look where you want to go, not at the front wheel! Have fun!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.