01 WR426 Questions
Posted May 17, 2004 - 10:52 AM
1. besides the difference in displacement, starting and decomp, what are the differences between the 426 and the 450?
2. any design or reliability problems to look out for on the 2001 model year?
3. anything else to consider?
Thanks for the input.
Posted May 17, 2004 - 09:30 PM
Posted May 18, 2004 - 10:31 AM
Posted May 18, 2004 - 11:09 AM
- One the ergonomics are a bit more spacious. The 426 feels a little cramped to me and the smaller gas tank on the 450 affords a little better riding position.
- the 450 turns better and has a little better suspension.
- the 450 'rides' lighter. I think on the scale they are about the same but the 450 feels lighter when riding which is probably due to item #4
- the motor! Slap a YZ cam in the 450 and the motor is awesome. Even without the cam it's pretty stout.
Don't get me wrong the 426 was and still is a great bike and has been rock solid dependable for me. But as the 426 was to the 400 the 450 is the next evolution. Each one a bit better than the previous. If money were not a factor I would choose the 450 hands down ('04 of course with all the starter fixes).