Straightening front forks

7 replies to this topic
  • Ranger_426F

Posted May 30, 2002 - 04:42 PM

Got a question for the group,

Had a crash "BIG FRIGIN ENDO" last week and tweaked the front forks "twisted". What do you guys do to get them back straight?

I know lossen the triples and eyeball as best as possible, are there any tricks of the trade you all use to get everything lined back up.

Thanks

• MotoGreg

Posted May 30, 2002 - 04:54 PM

I just loosen all the pinch bolts, put the front wheel between my legs and pull the handlebars side to side. They'll self center after that. Then tighten the lower clamp pinch bolts. Then check/tighten the upper steering stem nut which can loosen up when twisting. Finally, tighten upper clamp pinch bolts.

• mop

Posted May 30, 2002 - 08:29 PM

Ranger:
If your front end is twisted pretty badly, and straightening them out does not prevent them from returning to the twisted state, then you should check your triple clamps. They may be twisted. You can check their straightness by removing the upper clamp (and also the lower clamp if necessary) and laying it on a flat surface. If the clamp rocks back and forth when you push the bottom down against the flat surface, then they are tweaked and there is no good way of straightening them, you must get new clamps. The fork legs themselves are pretty strong, so usually in a big crash, the clamps are the weakest link...........

• mop

Posted May 30, 2002 - 08:30 PM

Ranger:
If your front end is twisted pretty badly, and straightening them out does not prevent them from returning to the twisted state, then you should check your triple clamps. They may be twisted. You can check their straightness by removing the upper clamp (and also the lower clamp if necessary) and laying it on a flat surface. If the clamp rocks back and forth when you push the bottom down against the flat surface, then they are tweaked and there is no good way of straightening them, you must get new clamps. The fork legs themselves are pretty strong, so usually in a big crash, the clamps are the weakest link...........

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted May 31, 2002 - 12:58 AM

Someone here suggested this and it has worked for me. Loosen the clamps and the turn the bars back and forth from one lock to the other. In the end the forks should end up pretty strait.

Just be sure to use a torque wrench when you re-tighten the clamps!!

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 31, 2002 - 02:51 AM

Agree with thumpy but let me add

if the forks are bent or the crash was serious enough to suggest the tubes are tweaked. Reseting the forks is not the answer. To be safe you should pull the tubes off and take them down to a machine shop and have them measured looked at. A few CM or mm's can cause the forks to bind making for a real harsh ride.

Anyway thats my $4.26 worth Safty First

• dezthumper

Posted June 01, 2002 - 07:42 AM

if you find that the forks are damaged, let me know. I may part with my extra set from a 00 426.

• Ranger_426F

Posted June 01, 2002 - 12:41 PM

Thanks dez,

I don't think they are bent. Just alittle twisted.

But thanks for the offer :D :D :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.