Will my XR seat "soften"?

6 replies to this topic
  • Winkel

Posted April 28, 2004 - 05:28 PM

Now that my BRP is street legal, I realize how much time I DON'T spend sitting while riding off road. Riding on the road, my seat feels like a brick. After about 20 to 30 minutes, my @$$ is sore. My bike has very low miles (Less than 300). Will I eventually get that sweet spot broken in??? Maybe I just need to put on some weight. (6'3", 205lbs.)

Winkel :thumbsup:

• qadsan

Posted April 28, 2004 - 05:52 PM

Don't hope for the seat to soften too much. If you don't mind your seat looking a bit funky, then check out the Guts Racing Tall Soft Seat Foam and their matching competition cover. I've seen several pictures of them and I've talked to over a half dozen people who owned and really liked this combo. SDG makes a complete replacement seat that's less expensive than the Guts foam + cover, but I've sat on both seats and the Guts foam & cover definitely feels better to me. Mine is finally on order and will be here next week :thumbsup:.

http://www.gutsracin...es/hondapg.html

• smashinz2002

Posted April 28, 2004 - 06:01 PM

The seat on your bike will probably Never get soft. I've got over 3000 miles on my 650R now, about 2/3 of that on the street, and my seat is still as hard as it when new.
I could only handle about 1hr. sustained riding on the street before it became too uncomfortable. I think you can buy aftermarket seat foam which is softer, but I'm not sure of who makes it or where to get it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Roll_it_on

Posted April 28, 2004 - 06:19 PM

I gave up the comfort of my old xr600 seat for the brick on my xr650 for only about two rides. Like you in the dirt it didn't make that much of a difference but on the street forget it. I love the tall soft seat foam that I put on. The only thing I also did was to put on a rear fender bag too so as to not mess up the lines of the bike due to the taller seat at the back. The bag is nice to have anyway. Baja designs sells the seat foam and cover as well and I believe it is made by guts. No more :thumbsup: for me!

• xrbrp

Posted April 28, 2004 - 06:32 PM

the more you ride the tougher your arse will get.

• ineedmyspeed

Posted April 29, 2004 - 09:36 AM

Softer seats

Got ya covered.

Take the seat off the bike. Turn the seat over and use some kind of marker to mark where any graphics lines are. Use a staple puller or small screwdriver and pliers to pull all the staples out of the seat. Be careful not to tear the cover.

After the cover is off the seat the foam should come right off the seat pan. Look at the seat from the side, mark small marks along the bottom edge of the foam that indicate where you need the seat to be softer. Rotate the seat foam bottom side up and using your marks on the sides make a mark across the bottom of the seat that gives you the area to soften.

You now need a needle or small diameter nail. From the bottom push the needle through towards the top surface of the seat. When the needle is at the surface without going through make a mark on the needle that will let you measure how thick your seat is.

Use a 3/8" to 1/2" diameter pipe that’s been sanded or filed sharp at one end, which can be used like a cookie cutter on the foam. Using your measurement on the needle from the seat foam thickness, make a mark on the pipe that would equal 50% to 70% of seat foam thickness. THE FOAM SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST 1/2 INCH AT THE SEATING SURFACE. In which case, it may need to be less than 50%.

Example 1; measurement on needle is 1 3/4 inch. 1.75 / 2 = .875 or 7/8". (Mark on pipe 7/8" from cutting edge)
Example 2; measurement on needle is 7/8 inch. .875 - .5 = .375 or 3/8". (Mark on pipe is 3/8" from cutting edge.)\

In the bottom of the seat foam inside the area that you marked for softening start cutting the foam out in plugs. Leave a least a 1/4 inch wall of foam between each hole. Leave more between each hole if you don't want to soften too much. Double space, if you want to test the "feel" before you remove too much foam.

When cutting the plugs twist the pipe as you push it into the seat foam. Keep a close eye on your depth line on your pipe. Use small bent needle nose pliers insert in the plug hole to remove the plug itself. Grasp the plug at its deepest point in the hole. Then grip, twist and pull out. That will pop the plugs right out.

Start with a few holes and set the seat back on the bike and "sit" test it as you go. If it gets to soft your can stick the plugs back into the holes and it will help provide support if needed.

Put the cover back on making sure the marked graphics lines match up. Use stainless staples if ya can, they will not rust and stain the bike.

Brad

If anyone wants this done for them tell me how much it's worth to ya and we'll go from there. Draw back of not doing it yourself is that ya don't get to "sit" test it.

• Winkel

Posted April 29, 2004 - 04:15 PM

Ineedmyspeed,

That sounds like a really good idea. I take it the staples are just put in with a staple gun and nothing special?? I may have to give this a try!
Thanks,
Gary :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.