Front Brake Disc Cover - Yes or No?

9 replies to this topic
  • Ramrod

Posted May 29, 2002 - 10:09 AM

Should I use a disc cover, is it necessary?

Or is it only usefull to pros?

• FOX426

Posted May 29, 2002 - 10:13 AM

Looking on the gouges and marks on mine....good investment. :)

• 98yz

Posted May 29, 2002 - 11:35 AM

Protection never hurts. The plastic guards are alot cheaper than rotors

• Fireballsocal

Posted May 29, 2002 - 11:37 AM

If your hitting stuff that's gouging the cover, maybe your riding a little too close to the edge?
They look cheap. They add extra weight. What's plastic gonna stop that cast steel won't? I don't run one but that's only my opinion. The only reason I could see using one was if you ride in alot of mud.

• Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted May 29, 2002 - 02:38 PM

A plastic guard is a lot weaker than a brake rotor. Anything that hits it hard enough to damage the rotor will go right through the guard. I wouldn't waste my money.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Alain

Posted May 30, 2002 - 01:46 AM

It does offer some type of protection from flying debris coming from the bike in front of you but won`t do much in a violent crash. Besides that I think they look good.

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted May 30, 2002 - 03:37 AM

When I picked up my WR a couple of weeks ago, I asked a workmate if he thought a disc guard was a good idea, his reply; i've been riding for blah blah amount of years etc, etc and never damaged a disc ever. Fair enough I thought. Last weekend he took his brand new YZ 426 for it's first ride and a chunk of wood flew up off the trail and bent his disc and carrier. Having said that I agree that a plastic guard probably wouldn't withstand any impact that would cause that sort of damage. What do we need? Maybe a lightweight alloy or carbon discguard? Chris.

• moto614

Posted May 30, 2002 - 03:42 AM

After getting a stick jammed in my caliper,leaving my front brakes useless,at the exact moment i hit the tree i decided i would get one.

• Ga426owner

Posted May 30, 2002 - 04:29 AM

I use the cover for my WR for woods riding. I do not use it on my YZF for moto's, because it makes it more difficult to tune compression dampning even with a hole drilled into it. I do not know if it will cover my Braking Wave rotor also.

• armourbl

Posted May 30, 2002 - 08:09 AM

Call me an idiot, but I think most don't run them becaue they want to look cool.

I have a plastic guard and it has plenty of scratches and gouges in it from falls.

They aren't designed to prevent you from bending your rotor, just simply provide some minor impact protection.

Your chest protector isn't going to keep you from braking your back, but when you fall you sure are glad you are wearing it....Get my point?

ben

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.