Cheap Motard? Sport Tires on Stock 21" Front and 18" Rear.......

9 replies to this topic
  • jchantzWR400F

Posted April 28, 2004 - 11:11 AM

Don't know how active the supermotard forum is, and I did a lot of searching. Thought I might get a quick answer here. I know some manufacturers make sport/street tires (no knobbies) for 21" front and 18" rear, but do I have to worry about rim width. The front is a 1.6 and the rear is a 2.15. Everyone here should know what I will go through if I call up the local dealer and ask about street tires in stock for my dirt bike rims.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted April 28, 2004 - 04:41 PM

Avon Gripsters work very nice on these rims.

• jchantzWR400F

Posted April 29, 2004 - 04:26 AM

It does sound like it will work pretty well. It looks like it's a lot tougher to find the 21" front that it is to find the 18 rear from the different manufacturers

Thanks.

• jwriott

Posted April 29, 2004 - 05:14 AM

I got a pair of the Bridgestone Deathwings from one of the DRZ guys. You can search and for some beer and the cost of shipping they'll probably send them to you.

• gomopar440

Posted April 29, 2004 - 05:23 AM

This question has come up on the SM forum a few times. I chose to run the Pirelli MT90 AT's on my 03 WR450 and the wifes XT225 (and a friend had me put them on his KLR650). They dont make the rear size that I wanted in the MT90 ST version otherwise I would have gotten those for the WR (we put a ST on the KLR rear though). All three bikes are running the 90/90-21 in the front and out back a 140/80-18 on the WR, 120/80-18 on the XT and a 130/80-17 on the KLR. The tires fit fine on all the bikes with no clearance problems of any kind. Handling is phenominal on the street with the new rubber but I can't say how they work on the dirt (that's not what they are for anyway). Good luck with whatever you decide :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jchantzWR400F

Posted April 29, 2004 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for the info...The MT90's sound pretty good.

• BadlandZ

Posted October 05, 2004 - 05:54 AM

I got a pair of the Bridgestone Deathwings from one of the DRZ guys. You can search and for some beer and the cost of shipping they'll probably send them to you.

Are Bridgestone TrailWing tires dangerous or unsafe? Why "DeathWing?"

• jchantzWR400F

Posted October 05, 2004 - 06:42 AM

Are Bridgestone TrailWing tires dangerous or unsafe? Why "DeathWing?"

The DeathWing title comes from the fact that they are a disgrace of an off-road tire. Not to bad on the road though.

• Math

Posted October 05, 2004 - 07:16 AM

On the pirellis website, it looks that the mt90 is not available for 18'' rear.

I suggest the michelin Siracs 120 on the rear. The 21 is also available on the front. They are just great on the street and they are very surprising on the trails. They are expensive but you can easily plan the front to reach 10 000Km and the rear to do some 5000 KM of pavement. That would mean about 6000 miles on the front and 3K on the rear.

I'm with my second set and will always hesitate to buy something else. I'm very happy with these tires. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Now, they are not that wide. If you want very fat slicks, you'll probably have to buy SM wheels and shop for street tires.

• Jackazz

Posted October 05, 2004 - 07:38 AM

I hear alot of guys saying that flat track tires to fit OEM rim sizes are a great setup, but I personally don't know anything about what brand or size of tires you'd get.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.