Installing a new timing chain.??

6 replies to this topic
  • YZFan

Posted April 27, 2004 - 02:41 PM

Is there anyway to set the crankshaft on top dead center with out the fly wheel and the side cover on?? I have been all over the manual and cant find it. Are there any other timing marks?? I am installing the 450 cam and a new timing chain and dont want to reassemble everything just to check it out. Thanks for any help

• Lukejt

Posted April 27, 2004 - 02:47 PM

Just take the plastic screwed in plugs out of the cover. Then you can put a wrench on the crank, and see what position it's in. I know that's in the manual, and it's easy to do.

Lukejt

• tctrailrider

Posted April 27, 2004 - 03:25 PM

Is there anyway to set the crankshaft on top dead center with out the fly wheel and the side cover on??

I don't think so. Install the chain on the crank shaft. Secure the chain from the top so it doesn't fall into the tunnel. Reinstall the magneto, flywheel and side case. Set it at TDC through the inspection hole. Install the intake cam so it lines up properly and set the exhaust off the intake. The flywheel has a key so its self aligning on the crank.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skthom2320

Posted April 27, 2004 - 03:45 PM

Well, if it was close to begin with you could just put a straw in the spark plug hole to find the highest point of the piston.

• YZFan

Posted April 27, 2004 - 04:22 PM

While I was fighting with the chain to remove it the crank turned. I was just wanting to know if there was any other way to set the timing with out putting all back together. Thanks for the info.

• tctrailrider

Posted April 27, 2004 - 04:43 PM

While I was fighting with the chain to remove it the crank turned.

That doesn't matter. The crank can be rotated to any position with the chain off or on. The only important part is to find TDC once you have the new chain on and then set the cams properly. You will need to put the side case back on to do that.

• Matt96xr6

Posted April 27, 2004 - 04:49 PM

setting the timing involves the camshafts in relation to the crankshaft.

So really put the piston at TDC. Then just fit up the rotor to see if the marks correlate correctly if you were to look through the site hole (12 oclock position). If not, turn the crank 180*.

To find out the top, remove the tank and sparkplug. Insert a long torx or phillips screwdriver down the spark plug hole. Find the highest point, TOP. Pretty simple. From there, leave the crank alone and then align the cams accordingly since the engine will now be at TDC.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.