Engine question

11 replies to this topic
  • YZFLORIDA

Posted May 27, 2002 - 03:00 AM

I changed my oil today.First time i have had metal shavings in the oil filter housing, what do i look for first? Clutch,gears? please help :) :D

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 27, 2002 - 03:05 AM

YZflorida

yz is this the first oil change on your 99 400 ?
if so then WHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY SO LATE have you owned the bike new

if its a new bike perfectly normal for the couple of oil changes. Just clean or replace the filter. Advise get a magnetic oil drail plug, this will drw the metal to the bottom and allow the alluminum to be caught by the filter. Make sure you clean the strainer also.....

I still have small bits of al-uminum in my filter. Most likely the clutch

The YZ is just sheading aluminum skim. Unless its excessive dont worry about it....

If its the first change on the 99, man engine tear down for sure in my opinion, look at cams, tranny, bearings all the guts

Ego

[ May 27, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• Fastest1

Posted May 27, 2002 - 06:39 AM

Hey A**hole just like I thought, you probably have a hard time understanding what the words really mean. Yz said it was the first time he has seen metal in his filter, not the first time he changed his oil! Metal is usually in the oil filters of these bikes as it is always a fresh post about it. Do they really have access to the net in the "pen"? How do you have time to respond to every F#$%*ing post. Shut up and ride! Cya :) :D :D

• yznvegas

Posted May 27, 2002 - 06:44 AM

Egodumbhole, re-read the post, it is the first time he found shavings, not the first time he changed the oil... :)

To answer the question, it is perfectly normal to find shavings in the filter, that is what the filter is there for, to catch contaminants that would other wise harm the internal parts of your engine.

• YZFLORIDA

Posted May 27, 2002 - 12:25 PM

Thanks fastest and yzn I feel better that it is normal wear. I change the oil @ every 6 hours of use
. thanks guys

I rode all day today at crooms and everything ran as usual very fast

• Fryboy

Posted May 27, 2002 - 05:43 PM

Ego..... Don't ya just feel the love in here?

Dayyyyum why all the hostility?

P.S. Peace, Love, Happiness

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted May 28, 2002 - 12:19 AM

Hey YZFlorida, where are you located in FL? I'm not familiar with the town that you have listed, are you north of okeechobee?

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 28, 2002 - 02:43 AM

Fryboy

I dont mind, just a couple of bugs caught in the web.

I have crapped bigger turds, then them :)

[ May 28, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• Shawn_Mc

Posted May 28, 2002 - 07:58 AM

YzFLORIDA you might want to check the clutch basket and HUB. I had the same deal with the shavings, then I started to get a little more material than before, but not what I would say is a lot. It turned out that the steel insert in the clutch hub had come loose and was allowing the hub to flop around and still work. The whole clutch assemble rides on that spine, so if its loose, the entire assembly will move around. Mine was flopping enough to touch the clutch cover. Id look, its free.

• YZFLORIDA

Posted May 28, 2002 - 10:50 AM

Sirthump Valrico is just east of tampa

• sirthumpalot

Posted May 28, 2002 - 02:46 PM

OK you're way up north. :) Shoot me an email if you're ever down south as far as okeechobee or melbourne!

• YZFLORIDA

Posted May 29, 2002 - 01:51 AM

Sirthump my son and i were down in Clewiston about 2 weeks ago to do the FTR Harescrambles evnt.Iused to live in FT. MYERS, Clewiston was a great race and very hot.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.