Destroyed engine part 2 (pics)

13 replies to this topic
  • thumpsalad

Posted May 26, 2002 - 04:10 PM

Well, I finally got around to posting some of the parts from my wasted engine. I split the cases today, but didn't have a chance to take any pics of those yet. I will take some and post them later. I took the head to a few shops and they just shook their heads and gave me some kind words.

The bottom end is a total loss. Some of the bearings show heat damage (blue color) and I suspect the cases are pretty much junk...it looks like the crank bearings have made their races a little larger from the "friction modifier" in the oil (bad joke). The tranny seems to have some slop from mashing all of the aluminum oxide between the gears. I think any tolerances were overcome by the crud filling in any space it could get to. My freshly re-built water pump bearing is packed full of the stuff, too. It just gets better and better!

At least it's a 3-day weekend. :)

http://www.geocities..._thx/intake.JPG
http://www.geocities...thx/exhaust.JPG
http://www.geocities...thx/filter1.JPG
http://www.geocities...thx/filter2.JPG
http://www.geocities...thx/filter3.JPG
http://www.geocities...ilter_cover.JPG

• thumpsalad

Posted May 26, 2002 - 04:14 PM

The links don't seem to work right from here. If you cut and paste them, they should work.

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 26, 2002 - 05:09 PM

Man thumpersalad
Looks like your bike got a bad does of the clap :)

Thats a horrable site bud

• Adam

Posted May 26, 2002 - 06:51 PM

That's horrible how **** like that could happen to suck good people.
My exhaust cam look a little like yours from the wear that the head did to it the other one is fine. the gouges are deep and the head is worn down flush with the valvs.I having a bith of a time trying to get my cam, there are none available here. Looks like where in the same boat with no bike.

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 27, 2002 - 02:49 AM

Finally someone with punctiation , spelling and general writing skills worse then me

YIPPPIIIEEEEE I am not alone

Woooo Hooooo :)

Thmper
How is the rebuild going ? and the parts gathering

[ May 27, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• MOmilkman

Posted May 27, 2002 - 04:56 AM

Sorry to hear of your disaster.

Seems like the easiest way to go nowdays is to part the rest of the bike out (ebay) and go down to your local bike shop and finance a new model.

Being I have no engine knowledge I think thats what I would do.

• sirthumpalot

Posted May 28, 2002 - 12:33 AM

I'm shocked at how much got by the oil filter. Was the entire filter clogged when you took it out? If so then I'll bet it went through the pressure relief at the back of the filter. Good luck!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John_Lorenz

Posted May 28, 2002 - 03:53 AM

SirThumpy

Good catch on the filter, I was thinking the same thing. If the filter was glogged then the bypass pulled all the rest of the goo through.

I had an xr that sucked up a bunch of dirt or I figure my ex dad in law poured sand in it :)
Becouse of my bright personality

Anyway the filter got glogged and the the engine just sucked up what was left right into the rockers. Blammmmo seazed and never again was it running.

Good lesson for us all here. That dang filter should be checked alot. Whats 7 bucks a ride????
for safty sake

• thumpsalad

Posted May 28, 2002 - 06:18 AM

Yes, the filter was completely clogged. Most of the stuff fell off when I extracted the filter from the housing, so the pic just shows the remnants of it.

A lot of the stuff made its way to the head and all of the crevices up there. I still can't get the lifters off!

• ThumpDRN

Posted May 28, 2002 - 09:45 PM

Here is a good one too. Sent the Rod straight through the front of both cases.... Cha-Ching!

Click here

[ May 28, 2002: Message edited by: ThumpDRN ]

• Shawn_Mc

Posted May 28, 2002 - 11:57 AM

Thumpsalad, your bike reminds me of Pamela Anderson, beautiful, but ya cant ride it! I saw the pics of the completed bike (prior to melt down im sure)and Im not a big black plastic fan, but that thing looked bitchen! Maybe it had a dose of Marylin Monroe syndrom, just too pretty to live? Any luck getting it back together?

• thumpsalad

Posted May 28, 2002 - 12:46 PM

ShawnMC,

You must have my beauty crossed with another bike!

I have not posted any pics of the bike yet, but it's black frame and yellow plastic!

The tank is white, though, since it's an Acerbis 3.4g, but I got the Hurricane graphics to fit rather nicely...now, I need the motor back from the dead.

Looks like Embee is going to help me with my rebuild of the motor. I have been in contact with them and things are looking up in the last few days! I think they are really cool for helping me out!!!

Pam Anderson is a ho... :)

• thumper4life

Posted May 28, 2002 - 01:04 PM

well when i first registered back in the day, either you posted pics of your bike or of a bike that you want yours too look like, i totally remember it. it was a 400, black frame yellow plastic with hurricane graphics i do believe, i also think you had a black rear fender if im not mistaken :)

• thumpsalad

Posted May 28, 2002 - 01:40 PM

thumperforlife....

Man, you guys are smokin crack! :)

I have never posted any pics on here until now, showing my motor.

Maybe you were all dreaming...or sniffing gas fumes? Hehe...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.