2 Master Links?

8 replies to this topic
  • LBZYZ426

Posted April 26, 2004 - 11:58 AM

I have a newer O-ring chain, which broke due to installing the master link clip backwards (my bad :D) The chain is now a link too short :) One of my friends mentioned I could use two master links and still utilize the chain.

Need some feed back on this-
Is this not a good idea?

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 26, 2004 - 01:17 PM

Generally this is frowned upon. The masterlink is already possibly the weakest point in the chain, adding two is not a good idea. That said, new chains are expensive. If you add a second, try to make it a rivet type masterlink. Those are stronger than the clip type and less likely to cause problems. The local motorcycle shop should be happy to install it for you for a few bucks, especially if you buy the link from them. It requires an expensive tool so you will need to either buy the tool or find someone with the tool (like the local bike shop) who will install it for you.

• fastenuf4u

Posted April 26, 2004 - 02:10 PM

I thought you already bought a replacement chain for the broken one? You just wanting to still be able to use your high-dollar O-ring chain? Just let me know if you decide to use the 2 master link set up so I can avoid you at the track and avoid the flying debris a snapped chain may cause! :)

• FFRacing79

Posted April 26, 2004 - 03:41 PM

Contrary to what many believe, the master link is no weaker than the rest. We regularly run 2 Masters on 100hp plus XRs...yes they use the same size chain as your 450...with absolutely no problems.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LBZYZ426

Posted April 26, 2004 - 03:43 PM

Sirthumpalot- I knew I should have PM'd you to begin with :D I'm going to check with my dealer on this, thanks!

Fastenuf4u- I loved my O-ring chain because I didn't have to adjust it every 4 laps :) :D Your just jealous of my flashy chain!

• cno

Posted April 26, 2004 - 04:56 PM

dirt track racers run two master links all the time. do to track size gearing is changed alot. one track you may run a 40 tooth rear sprocket or another track up to a 60. two masters allows you to do this with out changing wheel base or having 20 different size chains. i dont think i would worry about having two master links at all.

• vetplus40

Posted April 26, 2004 - 05:47 PM

From a tensile strength perspective, I can see no issue with two master links, but I do think the retaining clip is a weak point and having two amplifies the issue.My clip broke last week and I feel very fortunate that the chain flew outward and did not wad up around my motor casing.JMHO

• DigilubeJay

Posted April 27, 2004 - 02:07 PM

There shouldn't be any problem with running two clip type master links at all.
The most important thing with clip masters is that you take care of the clip. Always remove and replace them properly. Prying them apart with a screw driver is a mistake and can warp the clip.
If you take good care of your chain and inspect it often (as you should do anyway) you will see zero problems.

If it really bothers you to run two (which it shouldn't) you can always peen the heads of the master pins.
It only take a small amount of peening to keep the link intact even if the clip does happen to fly off.
Never peen a chain pin at the sprocket, place a large sledge behind the master and use a ball-peen hammer to slightly deform the pin heads (after placing the clip on properly).

Keep you chains well lubed and properly adjusted! :)

• mx426

Posted April 28, 2004 - 01:59 AM

I have run two ML for almost two seasons now with no problems.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.