Hot Pipe

5 replies to this topic
  • stoner

Posted May 26, 2002 - 03:19 AM

I have noticed that when I start my 01 426 the head pipe starts to glow red after a minute or two of idle.Being new to 4 strokes I got a little nervous thinking that I may have a valve sticking or something.I called the dealer who told me that this is normal and that they tend to run alittle lean.Yesterday I spoke to a friend who is a very knowledgeable mechanic and he wanted to hear my bike run so I started it and it began to glow red almost instantly(maybe 30 seconds of idle time)My friend told me that this should not get so hot so fast.Anyone else experinced this?Is it normal for the pipe too get so hot so quickly? I probably should add that the bike is an 01 but only on the third tank of gas so it's a pretty new top end.Thanks.

• RoosterBooster

Posted May 26, 2002 - 04:17 AM

I to was freaked out when I got my bike and it did exactly the same thing. The bike will get that hot when you are sitting still it will also overheat. I notice it when I am taking the kids for a trail ride and I am going slowly through the woods. I just try to limit the slow riding the bike wasnt meant to go slow and enjoy the roses...

If you like how it looks glowing...wait until you start it at night...It'll look like its going to melt!

• stoner

Posted May 26, 2002 - 04:40 AM

Thanks for the quick response I was planning on riding this afternoon but was a little hesitant because I was not sure if this was normal or not.I think I will go riding.Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GYT-Rider

Posted May 26, 2002 - 08:00 AM

Same thing happens to my pipe. It gets red almost instantly when it's running on idle. I haven't timed it, but I'm shure it doesn't take longer then one minute. It is a bone stock 01 and it runs great out on the track. I don't think it's something to worry about. :)

• AZ918MAN

Posted May 26, 2002 - 08:55 AM

My 426 does the same thing. its gets hot sitting and idleing. once you move it gets goes away - i have almost 200 hundred hours on my bike, it has done it from day one and still now even with a FMF head pipe. the rule is just dont sit and idle long or it will overheat

• sirthumpalot

Posted May 26, 2002 - 01:50 PM

The glowing header is normal, don't sweat it. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.