STRIPPED OUT OIL DRAIN PLUG

5 replies to this topic
  • eightarches

Posted April 25, 2004 - 01:29 PM

I just stripped out my son's (TT125L) oil drain plug. I over tighten it. I removed the bolt and spirals of metal came out with it. The bolt is ok but the threads on the case are damamged.

I fished out the damaged threads, flushed with oil and then reinstalled the oil plug. So far so good.

Possible fixes.

1) Rethread the case to one size over and get a bigger drain plug bolt.

2) Buy a new side case ($)

3) Maybe helicoil

Any thoughts or experiences would be helpfull.

Thx in advance.

• Sylvain

Posted April 25, 2004 - 02:43 PM

Your best move is the helicoil insert. It will be stronger than alu or magnesium threads.
And,
The second one should be the use of a torque wrench. :)

• Hamish

Posted April 25, 2004 - 04:16 PM

helicoil is the way to go. It's advisable to disassemble the engine to prevent metal from the drilling and taping procedure from going into the engine. Same problem with my YZ250 2 smoke. The sump plug stay in until I split the cases next. Oil changes done via clutch cover until then.

Hamish

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bake

Posted April 25, 2004 - 06:26 PM

Another vote for the helicoil, someone stripped out my WR's oil plug and that was the chosen fix. Still holding great!

• stevedon

Posted May 28, 2004 - 08:31 PM

Helicoil is great but has the tendancy to come out itself due to it being a spring ,also yhe tang is a bugger to break off when you are fitting the helicoil in situ.Your best bet is to fit a Timesert it is a solid insert that can be fitted in situ with no problems and they do not come out.
If you search your local bike or auto shops and find one who uses WURTH products he can get one for you , or if no joy there go to the WURTH USA web site. or check them out on www.wurth.co.uk

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted May 28, 2004 - 08:48 PM

helicoil is the way to go. It's advisable to disassemble the engine to prevent metal from the drilling and taping procedure from going into the engine. Same problem with my YZ250 2 smoke. The sump plug stay in until I split the cases next. Oil changes done via clutch cover until then.

Hamish

I guess you don't approve of using a Heli-coil to repair spark plug threads with the head still on the engine....

Figure out how to drill from underneath the bike as best you can, put some grease in the drill & tap flutes and carefully drill then tap the threads for the helicoil. Flush the case with some cheap oil and you're good to go.

Brian

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.