Installing Bearings

4 replies to this topic
  • RoosterBooster

Posted May 23, 2002 - 08:13 PM

I have had my YZ426 for about a year so after reading about the lack of grease from the factory and that I should have already greased several parts I decided to take apart the linkage in the swingarm and was all set to grease it up as I read.

Once I got the assembly apart which was completly bone dry. Several of the bearing are shot. I have them out and new ones will be here tomorrow. I wondering if there is a specific way to install them so I am sure I dont damage them. I was planning on using a socket and tapping them into the "Dog bone"

Any advice is welcomed!!

• jbird

Posted May 24, 2002 - 03:10 AM

I made the same mistake on a previous bike. I just used a bench vise and a socket as a press to push them in. If you had easy access to a hydrolic press this would be the way to go. Another trick is to put the bearings in the freezer for a couple hours to "shrink" them a little before installation.
Anyway, just go slow and I'm sure like me you will never make the mistake of not greasing the linkage again---

Jon

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bigdrtrdr

Posted May 25, 2002 - 07:18 AM

in adition to freezing the bearing sleeves. Put some heat on the linkage parts and they will go in much easier. good luck.

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 25, 2002 - 07:28 AM

Place the bearings in a plastic bag an put them in the freezer over night.

With a butain torch heat the outer area of the bearing race for a few minutes 3 - 4 minutes.

At that point just drop the bearing dirctly in, no grease needed, nothing. The bearing will slip in and set.

then using a rubber mallet and a peice of wood that fits the bearing, Tap the bearing into place....

[ May 25, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• Fireball

Posted May 25, 2002 - 05:47 PM

What is rarer than platinum and gold in Japan?

Locktite and Grease!!! seems there is none available there

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.