Medial miniscus tear/strain????

3 replies to this topic
  • Bill

Posted May 23, 2002 - 04:11 PM

Had a little tip over today and went to the ER. They told me I strained or tore my medial miniscus. I asked how to tell the difference and they said, "if it heals in a week or two, it was strained, if it doesn't heal, it'll require surgery to heal :)

What info can you guys provide?

• skthom2320

Posted May 23, 2002 - 04:24 PM

I injured my meniscus about 4 years ago. Hurt like hell. Could barely walk for weeks. Weird thing was that the pain was hard to pinpoint. It seemed like it went down the whole lower leg. I had large localized swelling just below the kneecap.

I went to an orthopod, had an MRI, then got the diagnosis of a torn mensicus, albeit a minor tear. My orthopod prescribed large doses of ibuprofen to control the swelling and offered to do arthroscopic surgery to try and fix it (or remove the torn piece, I forget which). He also said that I may do well with just some home physical therapy, range of motion type excercises. Since I was the only breadwinner and couldn't afford to be off my feet for the surgery, I just did the exercises.

It took about 3 months - 6 months to return to things like basketball, skiing, etc (I wasn't dirtbiking at the time). I still feel it when I bend that knee too much. I have to take care and stretch it out real well before I am active, but it doesn't slow me down or reduce my ability to do stuff.

Bottom line is that it may take a frustratingly long time to feel better, but it will. :)

Go see an orthopod if you can. In terms of knee problems a torn meniscus has a better prognosis than ligament damage (MCL, ACL, etc.).

[ May 23, 2002: Message edited by: skthom2320 ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxaddict

Posted May 23, 2002 - 05:03 PM

I severly tore the meniscus in both my knees in back to back years back when I played basketball 24/7 and had arthroscopic surgery on them both, at which time they had to remove 60% of one meniscus and 70% of the other. After surgery I was walking the next day both times and did rehab for 2 months before I hit the court again. After that the jolts were a lot of bone-on-bone, and the pre-practice heat treatments and post practice ice treatments got to be more than it was worth and the fun was gone so I stopped playing competitive ball in college. As far as the surgery's, they were pretty easy(day surgery) and rehab was fairly quick (of course I was in very good shape to start with then, might be different now). I was lucky to live where I do, and had Dr. Bahrani and the Texas Sport Medicine Center to take care of me (they take care of olympic athletes) and finding a good doctor is always important. On my first knee I went 2 months trying to work it out but the burning just got worse and I eventually made the tear worse to the point where my knee would occasionally lock up, so I'd definitely get it checked if I were you. As far as I know cartilage still does not heal, so surgery is the only choice unless it is a small enough of a tear you can live with it. If you do have surgery you you should be able to be back at most jobs within a week or two depending on how you handle pain, albeit hobbled slightly for a while. As stated previously, this is nothing compared to a torn ligament. Good luck, I hope it heals quick.

• fastkevin

Posted May 23, 2002 - 05:14 PM

It's a basic scope job. Nothing to worry about. Have it done on a Friday, and you won't even miss any work

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.