2004 YZ450F fork settings

7 replies to this topic
  • rorhound

Posted April 25, 2004 - 05:38 AM

Did a search and couldn't find the info so here goes. 48mm forks. 205lb rider. Trail and track riding. Intermediate level. What clicker settings does everyone use? When sitting in the garage on the bike and stroking the frontend it seems like it goes down ok for a few inches then gets stiff in a hurry. Is this normal (it's been 23 years since I've had a bike and the Maico forks didn't do this)? I'd like the forks to "sit" a little better in corners. I've raised forks through the triple clamps as far as I can (2 lines). Bike has about 3 hrs on it of not so rough terrain riding. Need to be broken in more? Differant oil level? Any and all suggestions would help.

Thanks in advance.

• rorhound

Posted April 25, 2004 - 05:08 PM

Nevermind..............They worked great today with a few adjustments.

• motodreamer

Posted May 19, 2004 - 10:41 PM

Hello, I'm in about your same situation. What were the adjustments you made? Thanks

• Vet28

Posted May 20, 2004 - 10:43 AM

YOUR FORKS ARE WAY TOO HIGH IN THE CLAMPS. THE BIKE IS SPRUNG FOR A 185 POUND RIDER. YOU COULD GET TO 195 IF YOU ARE SLOW. FOR YOUR WEIGHT, YOU NEED STIFFER SPRING (A MIN. OF 49 KG SPRINGS...I'D CONSIDER 50, OR 51 KG'S. ALSO DO THE SHOCK. GET THE SAG SET RIGHT (FREE & RACE SAG) THEN WORK ON YOUR CLIKCERS. ADJUSTING THEM WITH STOCK SPRINGS IS A WASTE. DO THE SPRINGS, THEN SAG THEN CLICKERS, THEN ENJOY.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • falshh

Posted May 20, 2004 - 03:29 PM

I have a yz450 also and I also weigh about 205 and according to race tech and I forgett the name of the other site that has a spring rate calculator, if you are riding motocross stock springs are what is recommended! They did say if you are doing supercross you may want to go up a little stiffer.Check www.racetech.com and see for yourself.

• Anssi

Posted May 20, 2004 - 10:49 PM

When sitting in the garage on the bike and stroking the frontend it seems like it goes down ok for a few inches then gets stiff in a hurry. Is this normal (it's been 23 years since I've had a bike and the Maico forks didn't do this)? I'd like the forks to "sit" a little better in corners. I've raised forks through the triple clamps as far as I can (2 lines). Bike has about 3 hrs on it of not so rough terrain riding. Need to be broken in more? Differant oil level? Any and all suggestions would help.

The action you describe is normal. There might still be some breaking in to do.

If you really last rode a Maico 23 years ago, you will have to get used to a new style of riding. You have to haul your butt on the tank and lean over so you can see the front numberplate. Don't forget to keep your elbows up. Once you get used to a modern bike you´ll be amazed at what you can do on one.

• Vet28

Posted May 21, 2004 - 01:33 AM

i checked that spring calculator also. It's off the mark. I am 192 am can bottom the stock springs flat landing 15 foot doubles. Take a twist tie and put around the bottom fork leg. ride around on some small jumps/breaking bumps and observe how much travel was used. the springs are bad, they ride in the mid stroke (making them actually feel harsh) even though 1/3 of your total travel is gone as soon as you jump aboard. anyone over 190 who is riding MX needs the stiffer springs. Then I got the gold Too Tech valving...major upgrade.

• CRFThumper

Posted May 21, 2004 - 06:38 AM

I saw that site as well!I just had my suspension done by factory connection and they re sprung big time front and rear!But I am 210lbs,it is SO mush more plush it's hard to belive!Great work and I sent them off on monday and got them back the next monday!VERY happy with them!Race tech's site does seem a little soft to me as well! :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.