Clutch Basket?

7 replies to this topic
  • BigJoe

Posted May 23, 2002 - 07:58 AM

Is the Clutch Basket defective on 2000 426's? I have had mine for 2 years now and I am just finding out through this forum that there might be a potential for the basket to explode and ruin the bottom end. I have been riding it hard for two years and have had no problems just a little grabbing and noise when the bike sits for a while and starts to move in first gear. Is this normal? Is it one bike breaks the other last forever or is it just a matter of time until they all break. What is the best solution to this problem if any?

• Hick

Posted May 23, 2002 - 08:15 AM

The only thing I ever heard about “defective” clutch baskets was a rumor, published as fact, in MXA. I think your clutch basket will be fine.

The only problem I’m aware of with the ’00 clutch is it isn’t the ’01 clutch, which is worlds better. Do a search, four part numbers and about $40 will get you to ’01 clutch nirvana, so to speak.

I own an ’00 and an ’01 and the clutch difference is easily worth the time and effort to update.

Hope this helps.

BTW, the one problem I would worry about on the ’00 is the straight key that holds the counter balancer drive gear on the crank getting rounded off. If/when you are checking/updating your clutch please check for play between crank and counter balancer shaft.

• mike_dean

Posted May 23, 2002 - 10:05 AM

Early '00 426's had clutch baskets with squared off corners on the bottom of the tangs, latter models had rounded corners. The tangs that hold the plates would break, mine had the revised model but I replaced it with a Hinson anyway. Mike

• Shawn_Mc

Posted May 23, 2002 - 10:29 AM

You may want to take the cover off and give it a look. Mine was doing the same thing. I took my case off to fix the allen screw threads for the oil filter cover, and notice the whole clutch assembly was flopping about. Turned out that the steel insert in the clutch inner hub had come loose inside the casting. After replacing the hub with a hinson unit and having the hinson basket already, I still have the grabby clutch deal. Im not exactly sure why. I think Yamaha may have changed the friction material on the 01's. Good luck, but Id give it a look just to be safe.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted May 23, 2002 - 11:25 AM

Originally posted by Hick:
The only thing I ever heard about “defective” clutch baskets was a rumor, published as fact, in MXA.

Looks like I stand corrected.

Shawn,

The improvement in the ’01 clutch may be due in part to a different material on the friction plates, but they look the same to me.

What IS decidedly different is the first friction plate assembly, including a part that acts as another spring to offset the coil-type springs opposite it.

5JG-16321-00-00 is the ’01 first friction plate, about $17
5JG-16383-00-00 is the clutch “spring,” about $14
5JG-16384-00-00 is the seat plate, about $12.

You also need a small ball that goes on the end of the actuating rod because w/ the new parts you need a longer actuating mechanism.

Disclaimer: I have not tried the swap, but I have read at least one post where it was done successfully. I can’t put into words how much better the clutch in my ’01 is, and I have a Hinson basket in my ’00. The Hinson helped, but I bought it because the lock-tab washer on the main gear ate my stock basket after the rounded straight key problem caused the retaining nut to back off…

Hope this helps.

• Dan_YZF

Posted May 23, 2002 - 02:19 PM

You're right Hick, these 3 parts solve all the grabiness of my 00 clutch

I've made the swap and you definitely didn't need the ball, only the first friction plate, a spring plate and a washer plate from a 01 model and you'll ended up with a buttery smooth cluth action

And I'm still on the stock basket

"What IS decidedly different is the first friction plate assembly, including a part that acts as another spring to offset the coil-type springs opposite it.

5JG-16321-00-00 is the ’01 first friction plate, about $17
5JG-16383-00-00 is the clutch “spring,” about $14
5JG-16384-00-00 is the seat plate, about $12.

You also need a small ball that goes on the end of the actuating rod because w/ the new parts you need a longer actuating mechanism."

• Victor_Delgadillo

Posted May 24, 2002 - 10:04 AM

What about the clutch from a 99 YZ400?

Do i have to do the upgrade also?

• Hick

Posted May 24, 2002 - 12:10 PM

Dan,

Thanks for the clarification.

Victor,

The 400 has one less clutch plate so I don't know that you can retrofit the parts, but I haven't heard many complaints about the 400 clutch, it is really only the '00 426 that has the problem.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.