4 speed tranny,like or dislike?

43 replies to this topic
  • Matt96xr6

Posted May 17, 2004 - 03:11 PM

you wont wish you had 5th, you will wish you had first. thats the one that is missing. the top gear in the four speed, is pretty much the same as the top gear in the 5 speed trans.
its like they just took first out. fine if youre always flat out, the motor is plenty powerful, but they wont chug very well at low end.

Your info is incorrect there. Look at the YZ comparision of the 03/04 to the 02 426. 3rd is identical, 4th is very close and then the 426 has the 5sp overdrive gear.

• YZ426FPilot

Posted May 17, 2004 - 05:37 PM

The BEST setup I found for Dunes or desert is running 15/48 on the 02 YZ426. First is close to the 450, but with a tall 5th! Its awesome, the bike just pulls so much harder and with no gaps! It actually feels really close to the 450 Which is one reason why the YZ450 feels like its trying to pull your arms out of thier sockets. Is more in the gearing than the motor.

If you really want to get crazy, WR426 gears will go in a YZ426 tranny. This will not work with the 450s.

• grayracer513

Posted May 18, 2004 - 03:34 PM

Yes, I miss 5th in my 4 speed, but I used to miss 6th in my 5speed, so what's new?

You asked what the ratios are:
450 ('04) 1.929, 1.563, 1.278, 1.050
426 ('02) 1.846, 1.533, 1.278, 1.091, 0.952

So, 1st is a little lower in the 450, and 4th is roughly in the middle of the 426's 4th and 5th. I went down 2 teeth on the rear (stock is 14/48, I used 15/49, but a 14/46 is the same) and got a low gear nearly the same as the 426, and a top gear of 9.66 overall as opposed to the 426's 9.198. This is a difference of 5 mph at 10,000 rpm in top gear, and since both bike are capable of hitting the rev limiter with this gearing, mine's faster at 93 mph.

But, one more gear would be nice...

• mnovarossi

Posted July 15, 2004 - 04:16 PM

In my search to see if the 4 speed would work for me in the woods, I saw the gear ratios in the post above. If these ratios are correct and you had the same sprockets on the 426 and the 450, than the 450 would have a slower 1st gear than the 426. And therefore would do better in the tight woods. (at least for me) Am I thinking this correctly? :thumbsup:

• tool

Posted July 15, 2004 - 06:52 PM

Yes, I miss 5th in my 4 speed, but I used to miss 6th in my 5speed, so what's new?

i dont think its the number of gears that matters, its the spacing. why not put a super low 1st on an mx bike? even on a 450, that would leave 3 gears to work with, and you could gear it really tall if your an off roader. :devil:
my 426 has more than enough engine to pull very tall gears, it just doesnt like doing that from a dead stop, especially on a hill. 1st gear is my problem with this tranny. its too tall. i gear my 426 at 15/47, and i get passed on a dirt road by a kdx 200 with stock gearing.
talk about a swift kick in the :thumbsup:

• motobark

Posted July 16, 2004 - 09:05 AM

I posted this a while back so I just copied and pasted it again...

You guys are missing one vital piece of the gearing calculations- the primary reduction. The primary reduction of the 450 is 2.818 and the 426 is 2.952. If you do the math, (if I remember right) the 450 is actually a little TALLER geared than the 426. So all things being equal, with both bikes at the same engine rpm, (and both bikes in their TOP gear) the 450 will have a slightly faster rear wheel speed.

As for the 4 speed vs 5, after owning both my opinion is it's not that big of a deal. The difference between the WR trans and either YZ trans is a way bigger difference. Especially first gear on the WR, now that's a granny low!

John

The 4 speed in the YZ450 is perfect for the bikes INTENDED USE. Remember it is a Motocross bike, not a trail bike. And also remember it's recommended for EXPERIENCED RIDERS, as per Yamaha's literature. That means if you're getting passed by a KDX200, you're probably on the wrong bike.

John

• Ga426owner

Posted July 16, 2004 - 09:53 AM

Amen!!! I am so tired of the subject - 4 speed is better than 5 on this bike for MX!!!PERIOD.............

• Thumper38

Posted July 16, 2004 - 10:55 AM

Well put, I agree totaly!!!!! :lol: :thumbsup: :D :lol: :devil: :awww:

• cbff33YZ426

Posted July 17, 2004 - 08:02 AM

Be thankful the new 450 has 4 gears. Initial test versions only had 3 gears. The 3 speed YZ 450 is still something Yamaha wants to do. They are just weaning them down slowly, to ease public complaint. Get everyone used to 4 speeds, and then go to three. The 3 speed tranny, is a monster, and might make the bike somewhat difficult for anyone that isn't an A rider. Also, the people I have talked to here in Colorado, don't mind the 4 speed on the high altitude single track. The power in the YZ is the only thing that kept it from getting bike of the year honors. Testers complained of TOO MUCH power! Go figure!

• Ga426owner

Posted July 17, 2004 - 10:00 AM

3 speed is fine with me..........

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ryno717

Posted July 17, 2004 - 10:28 AM

4 speed rocks. 3 speed would kick a$$. :thumbsup: :devil:

• Hick

Posted July 17, 2004 - 03:03 PM

In my search to see if the 4 speed would work for me in the woods, I saw the gear ratios in the post above. If these ratios are correct and you had the same sprockets on the 426 and the 450, than the 450 would have a slower 1st gear than the 426. And therefore would do better in the tight woods. (at least for me) Am I thinking this correctly? :thumbsup:

Almost. The 450 has a (one tooth) taller primary ratio, and the result is that both first gears are nearly identical (w/ the same sprockets).

For '05 I believe the 450 is one more tooth taller on the primary but will have a different final ratio (sprockets).

• Hick

Posted July 17, 2004 - 03:17 PM

You guys are missing one vital piece of the gearing calculations- the primary reduction. The primary reduction of the 450 is 2.818 and the 426 is 2.952. If you do the math, (if I remember right) the 450 is actually a little TALLER geared than the 426. So all things being equal, with both bikes at the same engine rpm, (and both bikes in their TOP gear) the 450 will have a slightly faster rear wheel speed.

You aren't remembering it correctly. With stock gearing the 426 is geared, overall, just slightly taller (about 3%) than a 450. That should change for the '05 model.

The 4 speed in the YZ450 is perfect for the bikes INTENDED USE. Remember it is a Motocross bike, not a trail bike. And also remember it's recommended for EXPERIENCED RIDERS, as per Yamaha's literature. That means if you're getting passed by a KDX200, you're probably on the wrong bike.

John

I believe the guy who posted about getting passed by a KDX was talking about top speed (on a road) so implying he can't ride is missing the point entirely, and not a very polite thing to do in any case.

Also, just because a certain feature suits your intended use doesn't mean it will work for everybody. Stating that the bike was INTENDED to be raced on a motocross track is just stating the obvious, by now everybody knows the YZ 450 has a four speed.

• gonzo

Posted July 17, 2004 - 03:43 PM

4-speed 5-speed, doesnt matter just shift when you need to. If your worried about how far first and second go then your too slow to ride a 450 anyway.

• Satch0922

Posted July 17, 2004 - 04:10 PM

4-speed 5-speed, doesnt matter just shift when you need to. If your worried about how far first and second go then your too slow to ride a 450 anyway.

AMEN!

• ovrrdrive

Posted July 17, 2004 - 05:31 PM

The transmission is the only thing I don't really like about the bike, but it's no big deal really.

I don't mind not having a 5th, but I just wish the 1st was lower. Sometimes I like to crawl along and the 1st is a little too tall. Hell they could have even made the 1st lower and left 2nd alone as the bike has plenty of power to pull second from a standstill if necesarry.

Eventually I will put a Wr tranny in mine as that's what I really wanted anyhow. I just got too good of a deal on the YZ to pass up.

Like I said though, it's no big deal and I'm in no hurry to change it. I usually am going fast enough that it doesn't matter anyhow.

• tool

Posted July 17, 2004 - 05:40 PM

John

I believe the guy who posted about getting passed by a KDX was talking about top speed (on a road) so implying he can't ride is missing the point entirely, and not a very polite thing to do in any case.

Also, just because a certain feature suits your intended use doesn't mean it will work for everybody. Stating that the bike was INTENDED to be raced on a motocross track is just stating the obvious, by now everybody knows the YZ 450 has a four speed.

thank you hick. :thumbsup:
i would love to see anyone on a YZ450 pass a KDX on a dirt road. no YZF has that kind of top speed without a 40t sprocket.
i dont think the most skilled rider here would be able to squeeze any more top speed out of my bike than i can, john. i realize that a YZF isnt a trail bike, but some of us trail riders like the light weight of a race bike. go figure.
my point is that just because a 426 is a 5sp, doesnt make it more versitile than a YZ450. both gearboxes are too narrow for me, but i realize that both are perfect for MX.

• motobark

Posted July 17, 2004 - 07:08 PM

i would love to see anyone on a YZ450 pass a KDX on a dirt road. no YZF has that kind of top speed

That must be why all the top desert racers ride KDX200's, since nothing else comes close to their top speed.
Give me a break.

• Hick

Posted July 17, 2004 - 10:33 PM

That must be why all the top desert racers ride KDX200's, since nothing else comes close to their top speed.
Give me a break.

I heard once that "all the top desert racers" actually change their sprockets.

Imagine that.

• tool

Posted July 18, 2004 - 07:37 PM

i must have been out of my mind... the 4 speed tranny is THE most versitile transmission on the planet. :lol: :devil: the YZ450 can do no wrong.
nothing even comes close to the top speed of a close ratio 4sp. :awww: at this point, im absolutely sure a YZ450 would blow away a WR450 on top speed AND still have a much more useable 1st gear.
thank you for opening my eyes, motobark. im going to rush out and buy a 4 speed, wait, maybe ill wait and get a 3 speed. :thumbsup: talk about having the right gear for any situation.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.