Ok, I give up !

20 replies to this topic
  • 426_Texan

Posted April 23, 2004 - 11:11 AM

What brand/style torque wrench will fit under the frame to tighten the two center cam cap bolts on the intake side ???

• TonyDeCoster

Posted April 23, 2004 - 11:54 AM

The one built into my elbow... :D :) :D

• yz_for_me

Posted April 23, 2004 - 12:52 PM

I don't know of any torque wrench that will fit with a socket on it, but you can use a crows foot on your torque wrench. Just remember to recalculate the required torque since you are effectively lengthening your torque wrench handle.

• Wyatt

Posted April 23, 2004 - 01:18 PM

You need to buy a good quality 1/4" drive torque wrench to do it right.

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 23, 2004 - 01:37 PM

I don't know of any torque wrench that will fit with a socket on it, but you can use a crows foot on your torque wrench. Just remember to recalculate the required torque since you are effectively lengthening your torque wrench handle.

If you put the crows foot 90 degrees to the handle then you don't have to do any new calculations. :) However the valve cover is an allen key, so that's a bit more tricky. I haven't actually found anything that fits so I'm interested to hear the solution.

• 426_Texan

Posted April 23, 2004 - 02:37 PM

The Sears near my house didn't have any 1/4" torque wrenches. Does craftsman even make one? I don't recall ever seeing any smaller than 3/8" :)

• SXP

Posted April 23, 2004 - 03:53 PM

Disclaimer: Buy at your own risk!

Harbor Freight carries one (1/4 inch drive inch-pound wrench) if you have one near you. I believe it's $30 with +-4% accuracy (same as my Craftsman 3/8" inch-pound wrench). If you do spring for one, do a rough comparision between the two wrenches by tightening a fastener, first with one wrench to a given torque, and then set the other wrench to the same torque and see if it breaks before the fastener turns. Loosen and repeat the test, but tighten the fastener first with the second wrench and then see if the first wrench breaks before the fastener turns. Should give you a warm and fuzzy feeling for the accuracy of the wrench!

• gfergtr74

Posted April 23, 2004 - 04:09 PM

I think Craftsman makes one. Snapon used to but am not sure if they still do.

• OC768

Posted April 23, 2004 - 04:12 PM

am I bad on the math here or would a 3/8 - 1/4 reducer not do the trick?

• SXP

Posted April 23, 2004 - 04:20 PM

The real issue is clearance. There's not enough room between the middle intake cam cap bolts and the frame to get the wrench in. Adding the adaptor only makes the problem worse.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 426_Texan

Posted April 23, 2004 - 04:54 PM

Well, I snapped one of the outer chain tensioner bolts torqueing it to spec so I'm done for the night. Luckily I could get enough bite on it with some pliers to get it out.

It's supposed to be storming here tomorrow anyway :)

• TexasDirtNap

Posted April 23, 2004 - 05:03 PM

I used a Craftsman 3/8" dirve Digitdak torque wrench when I did my cam. I do not remember having any problems with clearance. I know you are here in the North dallas area. If you want to borrow it you are welcome to do so. PM me with a phone #.

• vetplus40

Posted April 23, 2004 - 05:05 PM

The Sears near my house didn't have any 1/4" torque wrenches. Does craftsman even make one? I don't recall ever seeing any smaller than 3/8" :)

Yes, they sell one. I have a 1/4",3/8", and 1/2" drive that all came from Sears.

• SXP

Posted April 23, 2004 - 06:04 PM

My Craftsmen 3/8" inch-pound torque wrench with the reducer to allow use of my 1/4" 8 mm socket does not fit. Can you get a 3/8" drive 8 mm socket? I haven't seen them but then I really haven't looked.

• yamaha.dude

Posted April 23, 2004 - 06:54 PM

Unless you have faith in your wrist/elbow whilst pulling on the end of a ring spanner, then you may want to get a 8mm socket, and have it machined/ground down a bit, to give the clearance... I use a flexible shaft on the 1/4 drive to remove these things, and then, torque by hand those bolts... but I have faith in my wrist to know when it is about right... there is not much torque in those bolts...

You could also try a degree wheel, so with a normal ring spanner, you can then advance the spanner whatever number of degrees required to give you that torque... you may also get to the thing with wobble extensions, universal drive sockets and such, but they can affect the torque readings on the wrench...

BTW, 8mm sockets are available in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drive... just keep looking...

David

• yz_for_me

Posted April 23, 2004 - 07:27 PM

[quote
If you put the crows foot 90 degrees to the handle then you don't have to do any new calculations. :)

[/QUOTE]

Good point. I didn't think of that.

• OC768

Posted April 23, 2004 - 07:45 PM

The real issue is clearance. There's not enough room between the middle intake cam cap bolts and the frame to get the wrench in. Adding the adaptor only makes the problem worse.

Gotcha, I was focusing on the torque part and not the "it needs to fit".

I have 8mm in all 3 drive sizes, haven't seen a .25" drive torque wrench @ my local sears though...but now I have a good excuse to go there tomorrow morning :)

• probracing1

Posted May 20, 2004 - 12:58 PM

Haas---I just oput the 450 cam in my 2002 426. Snap-on makes a 3/8" drive, 200 inch lb. torque wrench. It is a sweet wrench for doing engine work. the only problem is the cost---$200 plus (I borrowed mine :thumbsup:

• CRFThumper

Posted May 20, 2004 - 01:51 PM

MAC tools makes anice one as well 1/4" drive 100 in pounds
nice tool! :thumbsup:

• MaxAZ

Posted May 20, 2004 - 03:47 PM

I don't know what it's called but I've seen wrenches that have a fitting in the middle of the wrench for the torque wrench. I do know at least one pro motorcycle mechanic that uses this type of adapter to torque down the cylinders on some bikes. I think I've seen them in a cataloge like Rocky Mountain.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.