Need torque specs

6 replies to this topic
  • R_Little

Posted May 22, 2002 - 03:49 AM

Lost my manual 1/2 way into a valve adjustment.
Wanna ride tomorrw.
Can someone give me the torque specs on:

Cam caps
Compression release bolts
Small head stay bolts
Large head stay bolts

Thanks

• sirthumpalot

Posted May 22, 2002 - 03:59 AM

Search the archives for a message from me where I posted a link to chapters 1-3 of the '01 manual in .bmp form. I don't have the manual in front of me, but I believe that the valve adjustment specs (and torques) are in there somewhere.

I'm about 90% of the way through chapter 4 and will post that shortly. For those of you waiting I'm sorry it's taking so long, I'm working on it in pieces when I have time and I'll get to the end eventually!

• skthom2320

Posted May 22, 2002 - 04:34 AM

Cam caps - 7.2 ft-lbs

Compression release bolts - 5.1 ft-lbs (shaft), 7.2 ft-lbs (guide). Be careful with the one that hold the shaft in place. I torqued mine to spec with my inch-lb wrench and was rewarded with a set of stripped threads. Just lightly snug into place will do it. I used a 6Mx1 heli-coil kit to fix it. If you have to do it put lots of grease on the drill bit and clean it often. Put a socket into the shaft space to stop the drill bit. Lots of grease on the tap and clean it often. I wiped out the shaft space with a Q-tip and assembly lube after the threads were tapped. I did this multiple times until I was satisfied that there were no shavings left. I put a magnet in the shaft behind the helicoil to catch the "tang" when it was broken off.

Small head stay bolts - (if you are talking about the three engine mount bolts with hex heads) 24 ft-lbs

Large head stay bolts - (the single engine mount bolt) 40 ft-lbs

[ May 22, 2002: Message edited by: skthom2320 ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • R_Little

Posted May 22, 2002 - 04:46 AM

Thanks guys.

I read the cautions about stripping the comression rel threads.

Believe it or not, I barely put a wrench on it last night, maybe 2 ft lbs, and I'm sure I felt the threads start to turn a bit.

Should I run it loose and put locktite on it, or is Loctite a problem with aluminum threads?

-Rich

• rpadgett2

Posted May 22, 2002 - 01:33 PM

Originally posted by sirthumpalot:
Search the archives for a message from me where I posted a link to chapters 1-3 of the '01 manual in .bmp form. I don't have the manual in front of me, but I believe that the valve adjustment specs (and torques) are in there somewhere.

I'm about 90% of the way through chapter 4 and will post that shortly. For those of you waiting I'm sorry it's taking so long, I'm working on it in pieces when I have time and I'll get to the end eventually!

Thank you for taking the time to do it.

• skthom2320

Posted May 22, 2002 - 06:01 PM

Originally posted by R Little:

Believe it or not, I barely put a wrench on it last night, maybe 2 ft lbs, and I'm sure I felt the threads start to turn a bit.

Should I run it loose and put locktite on it, or is Loctite a problem with aluminum threads?

-Rich

I stripped mine pretty good, the first half of the threads actually came out. This was the night before a planned ride. I put teflon tape on the bolt and carefully put it back in. It held up for two rides then started to seep a little. That's when I did the helicoil. I just kept on eye on the bolt to make sure it wasn't dripping oil.

By the way - the 6Mx1 helicoil kit from Napa is less than $20 but you have to use your own 1/4" drill bit. I returned the one I bought at O'Reilly for $30!

Are you sure you had the decomp shaft inserted all the way? You have to make sure it goes in far enough so the the bolt tip will go into the shaft cutaway. If you look at the shaft you will see the cutaway. It is pretty easy to not insert the shaft far enough and cause you to strip the threads...

[ May 22, 2002: Message edited by: skthom2320 ]

• R_Little

Posted May 30, 2002 - 08:32 AM

Thanks for yr reply.

I think I'm okay. I pulled the bolt and checked the threads and they still looked okay.

Yes, I believe the shaft is in far enough. I wiggled it around and foud the sweet spot where the bolt screws right in until it bottoms on the head.

I put about 2 ftlbs on it and have been watching it for leaks. None thus far.

I can tell you it was loose when I removed it for the first time.

-Rich

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.