Sproket gearing question?

9 replies to this topic
  • mikev7

Posted April 23, 2004 - 02:38 AM

I own a 2000 YZ426 and i want to get a little more top speed out of it. Will i get more speed by making the front sproket 1 tooth bigger, or the rear sproket 1 tooth smaller? I want the smallest adjustment being that 1st gear on this bike is allready tall. :)

• Fly-nBri

Posted April 23, 2004 - 02:46 AM

If you do a search on this subject you will see a ton of info on it. But the smallest adjustment would be going 1 tooth bigger on the rear I believe. I tooth up front equals 3 teeth on the rear. :)

• mikev7

Posted April 23, 2004 - 02:56 AM

Dosent one tooth smaller on the rear make more top end? Would one tooth smaller on the rear be a lot of difference?

• revolucien

Posted April 23, 2004 - 03:05 AM

yes, one tooth smaller on the back is to bump top end and no, not a large difference

• bigc

Posted April 23, 2004 - 04:00 AM

If you do a search on this subject you will see a ton of info on it. But the smallest adjustment would be going 1 tooth bigger on the rear I believe. I tooth up front equals 3 teeth on the rear. :D

nope got it backwards,smaller front is same as adding a bigger rear,equals lower gearing.Want to go faster, go bigger in front or smaller in back. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • b-bike

Posted April 23, 2004 - 06:44 AM

If you do a search on this subject you will see a ton of info on it. But the smallest adjustment would be going 1 tooth bigger on the rear I believe. I tooth up front equals 3 teeth on the rear. :D

nope got it backwards,smaller front is same as adding a bigger rear,equals lower gearing.Want to go faster, go bigger in front or smaller in back. :)

bigc has it correct.

I wanted to make my YZ a woods warrior and I did so by going up 3 teeth on the rear (stock=49 now=52).

If the effect your looking for is a "slight" improvement in top end speed, go to a 48 tooth rear.

Boyd

• mikev7

Posted April 23, 2004 - 07:11 AM

The stock front sproket is 14t, would you suggest going up to a 15 on the front. Or maby decreasing the rear by 2 teeth?

• rbsdsu

Posted April 23, 2004 - 08:56 AM

If you are going to do the back then go by 2 teeth, you will probably not even notice the difference with just 1 tooth! On the other hand if you do the front which is much cheaper then just do 1 tooth, I finally found my best ratio at 15 - 48

• mikev7

Posted April 23, 2004 - 10:18 AM

Ok thx, i'll try 15-48.

• rbsdsu

Posted April 23, 2004 - 10:57 AM

Give it a try you might like it, you might not but you can always go back!

Good Luck!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.