YZ450F Transmission problems

3 replies to this topic
  • Rider_727

Posted April 22, 2004 - 07:23 PM

Has anyone else had any Transmission problems out of these. Mine is popping in and out of 3rd and 4th under load. But it shifts in to the grear just fine. I busted it down to the cases and one of my shift forks is eat up. I don't understand the grears don't look rounded enough to push out of gear. But then again I am used to working on cars. is there something I am missing. could it be the shifting mech. or the shifting drum, or the forks in a bind?? :)

A friend of mine said the problem came from landing on the shifter, off a jump.

• TonyDeCoster

Posted April 23, 2004 - 01:34 AM

Bent shift forks are the result of putting too much force on the shift lever either due to a crash or like your friend said, landing on the shift lever after a jump or standing on it. Regardless of how it got that way, it's bent because too much pressure was applied to it...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rider_727

Posted April 23, 2004 - 05:46 AM

So what all should I replace??

• TonyDeCoster

Posted April 23, 2004 - 05:49 AM

Check all shift forks for damage. Also, look closely at the shift drum. If there is any wear, chiping at the corners etc. where the forks ride, replace it. Lastly, check all the gear dogs and replace any gears that show signs of wear.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.