Fuel Additives

7 replies to this topic
  • gonzo

Posted May 21, 2002 - 05:35 PM

Are fuel additives like octane boost or that Klotz nitro stuff any good?

• FOX426

Posted May 22, 2002 - 03:28 AM

From everything I have read... don't waste your money. I have had some success with a 50/50 mix of 93 pump and 110 race gas. Running straight race gas you will have to re-jet.The mix seems to give a little better throttle response and eliminate the popping on de-cel. :)

• Shawn_Mc

Posted May 22, 2002 - 09:52 PM

If you can get PJ1 octane booster that has Tolulene in it, its good stuff. Problem is, tolulene is the stuff the meth heads use to boil up the crystalmeth! So its gotten really hard to find.

• steffenr

Posted May 22, 2002 - 12:44 PM

Where do you get 93 pump gas. I live in Phoenix and the best I have found is 92 but most are 91.

Any suggestions?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumper4life

Posted May 22, 2002 - 12:50 PM

in michigan :)

• gonzo

Posted May 22, 2002 - 12:50 PM

States in the West dont usually get 94 octane because of the oxygen level they dont really need it. Your regular gas is 85? right? Here in Michigan its 87. Then the premium is 94.

• steffenr

Posted May 22, 2002 - 12:59 PM

Most stations I have seen are 87 for standard, 89 for the mid grade and 91 for the premium. When I am in Michigan the Sept. I would pick some 94 up but I doubt they will let me bring it back on the plane.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted May 22, 2002 - 01:52 PM

About that Klotz nitro. Its nitro propane. Nitro propane is an oxygen bearing fuel. Very much the same as Nitrous oxcide, the same principal at work. If you run that Klotz Nitro, you must jet way the hell up, because it causes a lean condition. I can explain it if you like, but its gonna be really long. Also, if you run that stuff (nitro propane) and you get into a detonation situation, which is really easy to do on that stuff, I can almost gaurantee you'll need at least a piston, possible a rod, and possibly crank bearings. When that stuff detonates, it goes off hard, and takes parts with it. But lots of people run it, especially at high altitude (read Mammoth Mountain MX). At really high altitudes, you can run the NitroPropane and not have to rejet, and not loose any horsepower either.

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.