YZ400 Hotter Plug

6 replies to this topic
  • gonzo

Posted May 21, 2002 - 05:23 PM

I was wondering if anyone could tell me a hotter plug that I could use for the YZ400. Stock is a CR8E.

• Mark_Cantrell

Posted May 21, 2002 - 06:07 PM

I hope no one does. 8's are hot enough. An EK may not foul as easily. Some prefer the Iridium plugs. But don't go hotter.

• strack

Posted May 21, 2002 - 06:23 PM

I agree with mark, i don't know if it hurts to use a hotter plug but If you want to there is a cr7e. Try the cr8ek, it works good and doesnt foul near as easily.

98 yz400

[ May 21, 2002: Message edited by: strack ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mark_Cantrell

Posted May 22, 2002 - 01:09 AM

I got some bad gas Monday. Ego will comment on that in a minute. Anyway, Monday evening I went through two plugs (CR8Es). They fouled black but different than rich fouling. Looked like flat enamel black.

I picked up a box of CR8Es before going riding last night (upcoming group ride). While I was there, I got a EK and EIX(?), just for grins. The new CR8E lasted about three laps (1.6 mile laps), the first one was an observation lap. Then I put in the heavy iron, the CR8EIX(?). It lasted probably 5 laps. Then I put on the EK. I ran hard about 2 1/2 hours (ran through the rest of the tank of gas, at least down to reserver, that's a lot of riding) and it's still in there.

I am overlean just to prove a point. 162 main, 35 pilot, FHN#3. The fouling was not rich.

In fairness, mostly on the EK, I was cutting the lower part of the track where I was harder on the gas (practicing changing attitude in air over a big but safe tabletop). That may have been the determining factor. But 8E, 3 laps. EIX 5 laps. EK energizer bunny.

Good luck,

• JAHEY2

Posted May 22, 2002 - 02:40 AM

I use a CR8Ek and they work great, I haven't fouled one in awhile.

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 22, 2002 - 02:44 AM

Somone Say "BAD GAS" :D

Unless ya want to burn a hole in your piston you should not place a hotter plug into the bike....

Long term this will damage and eventually burn a hole in the piston (IF YOUR JETTING IS TO LEAN).

Again, I dont understand why I see so many people with plugs just giving up the ghost. I have had two plugs in my 00 Since I have owned it in Jan of 02. I replaced the first becouse I just wanted to no reason. Now that plug is in my sons 02 250f running fine...

I think the suggestion of "BAD GAS :D " may be valid, I have never gotten BAD GAS, Well Except when I eat at That TacoRia before I ride :)

Thanks Mark for starting me up :D

• vznx1w

Posted May 22, 2002 - 02:52 AM

A hotter plug (CR7E)is an effective option for combating plug fouling and will work well if you're riding in conditions that don't allow sustained wide-open throttle: woods, trails, tight mx tracks. I have run a "7" extensively with no problems.

WARNING: If you opt for the hotter plug and take your bike to the desert, flat track racing, or long fire roads--any place where you can keep it pinned in 5th--you risk melting a piston. This happens when the high combustion temps turn the CR7E into a "glow plug" which initiates destructive detonation/preignition.

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.