650R tires

20 replies to this topic
  • tirebiter

Posted April 22, 2004 - 04:45 PM

Wore out my S12, and Was wondering what you west coast folks run in the dry season. Thinking about IRC'S ve 33. Going shopping tomorrow, any suggestions?

• AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted April 22, 2004 - 06:36 PM

MAXXIS ITs for me. Ride desert and have them on all my bikes. I run a 120 on the 650 and 450 in the back - more meat to pound the ground! :)

• Moredesert

Posted April 22, 2004 - 07:31 PM

I like the 140 S-12 myself. Even the Michelin Baja works great. It's not cheep though

• Old_Man_Time

Posted April 22, 2004 - 08:13 PM

For desert riding I like the Dunlop 739 AT for the rear. This is one tough tire that does not wear out easily. It doesn't chunk when ridden in rock infested desert roads.

• needsprayer

Posted April 23, 2004 - 04:17 AM

Teraflex. Following a BAJA. The Teraflex is a true monster. It's like having a supermoto tire with huge knobbies. I love the way this tire behaves in sand. It is the closest thing to a paddle tire that you can get with knobbies. IMHO

• Rokatt88

Posted April 23, 2004 - 05:59 AM

I've been running the Maxxis in the stock size and have been very pleased with the bang for the buck. They were backordered on the Maxxis when I called in so I tried the Kenda Millville. Very impressed! Wears a bit faster than the Maxxis but I'd say that for my conditions at Ocotillo Wells it performs extreamly well! :)

Needsprayer, how about that Twoblackbelts charactor?? :D What a piece of work he is! :D

• needsprayer

Posted April 23, 2004 - 06:23 AM

I think he is an alterego, don't know who for sure. Won't waste my time with this Dumb :D

:)

• Rokatt88

Posted April 23, 2004 - 06:48 AM

I think he is an alterego, don't know who for sure. Won't waste my time with this Dumb :D

:D

I don't think he liked my "Movie Treatment" of his life! :) :D :D

• JetPilot

Posted April 23, 2004 - 08:13 AM

I ride my XR600R on the road for some long distances to get where im going , then dirt hills, trails, etc, nothing to extreme, just easy stuff. The most important thing for me is that my tires last a long time, and are fairly confortable on the pavement. Which tires would be best for me ??

• ThunderChicken

Posted April 23, 2004 - 11:48 AM

i ride all desert.

i like the maxxis IT or the kenda carlsbad in the rear. i pretty much buy whichever of the two is cheapest at the time.

been running the maxxis IT up front as well cause a buddy got me a deal on a stack of them. not very happy with it. sort of bummed after the sucess i've had with the rear it.

wants to wash out waaay toooo muuuch. plus it was signif, worn down after a couple of rides.

gonna work my way though the stack and then go back to dunlops int. tire for the front.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted April 23, 2004 - 12:52 PM

Do you have

been running the maxxis IT up front as well cause a buddy got me a deal on a stack of them. not very happy with it.

Maxxis redesigned their front tire several months ago because of issues as you mentioned. I don't know exactly how tell the exact difference between the two unless I had them both side by side to look at, but I'm wondering if you have the newer redesigned version or older version which was more prone to washing out. Here's some text I kept from Transworldmx.com regarding this...

"The other set of tires are the Max Cross ITs. Basically it’s the same IT tire, but we had was some of our top riders having issues with the front tire knobs folding over under hard braking. So we went back to the drawing board and started with a softer carcass, and shortened the knob height, which eliminates the roll over problem. We made it a softer compound and we made the knobs a bigger block. With those changes the riders that are running those on hard pack and blue groove are giving us great feedback. "

If you bought your tires last year, then there's more of a chance you have the older version front tire. Some of the 7304's I've seen have yellow writing on them and some don't, but I don't know for sure if that's a distinguishing feature between the two versions or not. I've been meaning to call Maxxis for several months now to find out more details, but it's been one thing after another and I just haven't hooked up with them yet. Here's the phone number to Maxxis if you want to give them a call to find out more details. I've been told to ask for a guy by the name of Mike Fahmer at Maxxis who would know the details. 1-800-4-MAXXIS

• Old_Man_Time

Posted April 23, 2004 - 01:44 PM

The Michelin X11 Trials tires are DOT approved and supposed to have excellent traction and wear really well. Read the review on this site.

• tirebiter

Posted April 23, 2004 - 05:49 PM

Thanks all for your input. Tomorrow's the day for the new shoes, and I'll take all your suggestions to heart and make a decision.
Again, thanks....Dan
Old_Man_Time, are you 'theoldone' at KTM talk?

• Old_Man_Time

Posted April 24, 2004 - 03:06 AM

Yes

• JetPilot

Posted April 24, 2004 - 07:59 AM

Read all of the posts, and looked at the brands you guys were talking about. I use Michelin tires on my cars and they are great. On their website I see the T66 dual sport tire, looks like it would be great on the road and trails also. Dont want a real noisy knobby. Would the T66 work well on a XR600R ? http://motous.webmichelin.com/home.htm

• ThunderChicken

Posted April 26, 2004 - 04:08 PM

Do you have

been running the maxxis IT up front as well cause a buddy got me a deal on a stack of them. not very happy with it.

Maxxis redesigned their front tire several months ago because of issues as you mentioned. I don't know exactly how tell the exact difference between the two unless I had them both side by side to look at, but I'm wondering if you have the newer redesigned version or older version which was more prone to washing out. Here's some text I kept from Transworldmx.com regarding this...

"The other set of tires are the Max Cross ITs. Basically it’s the same IT tire, but we had was some of our top riders having issues with the front tire knobs folding over under hard braking. So we went back to the drawing board and started with a softer carcass, and shortened the knob height, which eliminates the roll over problem. We made it a softer compound and we made the knobs a bigger block. With those changes the riders that are running those on hard pack and blue groove are giving us great feedback. "

If you bought your tires last year, then there's more of a chance you have the older version front tire. Some of the 7304's I've seen have yellow writing on them and some don't, but I don't know for sure if that's a distinguishing feature between the two versions or not. I've been meaning to call Maxxis for several months now to find out more details, but it's been one thing after another and I just haven't hooked up with them yet. Here's the phone number to Maxxis if you want to give them a call to find out more details. I've been told to ask for a guy by the name of Mike Fahmer at Maxxis who would know the details. 1-800-4-MAXXIS

hey quadsan. you know, i'm glad you responded to my post. actually i'm pretty happy with the front it. i don't think a gave it enough of a shot. i think i have the newer model since i got the stack last month. my first impression was not very good since i had only ridden with the IT front at a very very hardpack piece of deset out by indio, ca. it was a camping trip and i rarely ride that type of desert. lots of harpack semi-jeep trails. very little opportunity for any tire to shine. thinking back the conditions were very poor and would have made any tire want to auger and wash out.

brand new, the tire treads were not very deep and that was what prompted my concern about the tire. in fact after one ride i was considering trashing the tire and selling off the stack cause it wore way fast and looked like there was little tread left.

however, i didn't give the tire a chance to break in. i've since raced on the same front tire a couple of times where i normaly ride. i didn't think about the front at all and that's a good sign. i think with the front IT you have to throw away convention and instinct and resist the urge to change the tire out when it starts showing wear. what i mean is the knobbies on the tire are worn past the point where i normally would swap a tire out. i think it really starts performing once it is broken in and worn down. whereas with some of the softer tires, like the dunlop, the tire works awesome for the first couple of rides and then once it wears to a certain point it's useless...

so, in short, i'm sticking with the IT front... :)

• qadsan

Posted April 26, 2004 - 04:20 PM

what i mean is the knobbies on the tire are worn past the point where i normally would swap a tire out. i think it really starts performing once it is broken in and worn down

Thanks for posting that because I had pondered those same thoughts and wondered if I was crazy of if there was something to it :D

I've still got a pile of Maxxis tires to wear out for various bikes we have, but I want to try the Carlsbad / Millville combo that Rob Barnum likes so much. At the rate I'm going, I may have Maxxis tires for two years :D, but that's fine because I'm quite happy with them (which is why I bought a pile of them in the first place) :).

• ThunderChicken

Posted April 26, 2004 - 04:25 PM

oh and qadsan, you're right about the yellow writing. it's a new thing with the tire guys. just about every tire i've ran since around september of last year has yellow writing on it. i feel like a factory hero! however, it's not very convincing when i have a yellow Kenda in the back and a yellow Max up front. :)

it's funny from a marketing perspective because you would think the tire makers would have figured this out a long time ago. sure, they have been supplying the pros with tire markers for a long time to get play in the mags and at the big races... but if you pull into a local riding area or a local district race the first thing guys want to know is what the local heros are running on their bikes. up until lately it was hard to tell and you had guys sniffin around each others bikes like dogs sniffing butts trying to figure out what brand/model the fast guys were running. :D

• ThunderChicken

Posted April 26, 2004 - 04:33 PM

but I want to try the Carlsbad / Millville combo that Rob Barnum likes so much.

you should give it a whirl. but ya know, it's strange. one minute i swear i'll only run the IT in the rear, the next i'm all about the kenda. frankly i think the two are pretty even, so usually i go on price. i'm running a kenda rear right now. put it on friday night, practiced with it on saturday and raced it sunday. i [@#$%&*!] you not i pounded that bike hard on saturday to get lathered up for sunday and the rear still had the little casting nipples on the side treads.

today, looking at the rear, it still looks like it could go through two more races two more rides.

in terms of looks though, i gotta say, there's something about that kenda. the knobbies are there and remind me of the days when motocross bike tires were judged on the size of the knobbie...

• qadsan

Posted April 26, 2004 - 05:51 PM

remind me of the days when motocross bike tires were judged on the size of the knobbie...

That's for sure :) I remember going to Dick Cepek, Racers Pitstop, etc, to pick up stuff and one day I came home with a Teraflex from Dick Cepek (back in the 70's). My friends just looked in awe when they seen that monster on my bike :D

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.