crabby front end! help please!

4 replies to this topic
  • oldNslo

Posted April 22, 2004 - 07:03 AM

Hiya Hiya Hiya again from thawed out Cleveland! I've managed to convince a buddy of mine to get back on the dirt. So over the past couple of weeks he's gotten an old YZ for his son who's never rode and last night he brought over an 00 RM125 (yeech, I never did like them things!). Anyway, since I seem to be the wrench in the group the bikes are being kept in my shop. So last night I'm going over the RM and notice the front end is way out of align. I remember reading a post over the past few months describing how to straighen out the forks but cannot seem to find that post. Something about loosening the bolts on the trees and the axle and then the tubes will return to their correct positions?? I dont remember exactly. If someone would direct me the post or even tell me how to do this we sure would appreciate it. Thanks alot!

• flyinguitars

Posted April 22, 2004 - 08:30 AM

Your on the right track.. In the past when mine were tweaked, I loosened the axel pinch bolts and the triple clamp bolts and then spun the front wheel and applied front brake... spin it a few times and it shoud find "straight" on its own....or you can just man-handle it and put the wheel between your knees and grab the bars and twist it back into place...Ive done that quite a few times right after a crash.
Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TonyDeCoster

Posted April 22, 2004 - 09:24 AM

The only thing I would add is that I've had to loosen the center nut on the upper tree in addition to the ft axle and triple clamp pinch bolts to completely straighten things out...

• krotchwaffle

Posted April 22, 2004 - 10:07 AM

it helps to straigten it out if you cycle the front forks by holding the front brake and bouncing the front suspension up and down.

• oldNslo

Posted April 22, 2004 - 11:58 AM

:) Thanks for the guidance! In the old days before leading front axles and inverted shocks I would have done the same thing and thought nothing of it. But just to be on the safe side I called a local dealer and the service dude told me, and I quote "If they're inverted the shocks can not tweak out of align". I questioned him on this again and he says "It's nearly impossible, if it's tweaked out the bike is probably FUBAR". I should have just asked you guys here first! stupid waterhead service shop idiot, I wonder if his mommy has to pack his lunch and point him in the right direction when he peddles his red ryder tricycle to go play vroom vroom motorcycle shop repairdude. Lord I apologize fer makin' fun of the waterhead service dude....... Thanks again for the help! Enjoy the weekend yyyeeeeeehaaaaaaaa :D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.