If your bike all of a sudden starts popping or running lean

5 replies to this topic
  • kfrosty

Posted May 21, 2002 - 10:18 AM

I've gotten a lot from this website so I wanted to share something I ran into over the past couple of weeks to hopefully help out others if they run into it.

About a month ago I put a pipe on my bike and shortly afterwards (by coincidence as I've found) my bike start popping on decel and didn't seem to run quite right. Starting it was still good but on the colder mornings it didn't start as well as it had during the winter.

I checked around and it was recommended that I change the needle jet which I did but to no avail. Went to a sand race and the bike just didn't seem on but I didn't want to do any major changes there so I just adapted.

The following Tues while out practicing I stalled in a corner and went to use my hotstart and it wouldn't move. Had only had it on for about 5 rides. Went back to the truck and took it off and it had quite a bit of sand it in and around the plunger which had it obstructed. Cleaned the hotstart out and lubed it up and vola, my bike was back to running like it had been.

Kept an eye on this for the next two weeks and went to a race where the track got soaked. The bike started running sluggishly again. It was kind of cutting out and didn't seem to want to idle good. It was so wet I had thought maybe the air filter had gotten soaked and water had came in past it some how. Changed air filters and didn't notice water and again had to just live with it the rest of the day.

The following Tues, after prepping the bike I went out to practice and noticed the same thing. When I got home that evening I pulled the hot start back off and low and behold there was water in the plunger "tube". Took a paper towel and absorbed it out and drained the bowl on my carb and road Sun and the bike is purring again.

The moral of the story, keep an eye on the hot start chamber and keep it cleaned regularly especially if you are using after market hotstarts with the cables.

The product I have I love but when open up the chamber like this, it introduces a way for debris to creep inside. I've seen some individuals having unexplained problems and wanted to throw this out there as something to check.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted May 21, 2002 - 10:38 AM

I have a question: Where does the hot start pull its air from? It looked to me like it just pulled it from the upper side of the slide. Which leads me to another question: How did sand get into your hot start chamber in the first place?

• Hick

Posted May 21, 2002 - 10:46 AM

Originally posted by Shawn Mc:
I have a question: Where does the hot start pull its air from? It looked to me like it just pulled it from the upper side of the slide. Which leads me to another question: How did sand get into your hot start chamber in the first place?

Shawn, I believe kfrosty may have the external hot start that came on all pre-2000 models. I think they are plumbed to the air boot…

If not, then nevermind :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kfrosty

Posted May 22, 2002 - 02:46 AM

Hey Guys,

This is an aftermarket hotstart. The water and sand as best I could tell came down through the cable housing. No different than dirt and crud that comes down through the throttle and clutch cables. I didn't list any product names or details because as I said, I like the product but it just adds something else to monitor and clean on a regular basis.

• Hick

Posted May 22, 2002 - 06:32 AM

Originally posted by kfrosty:
I didn't list any product names or details because as I said, I like the product but it just adds something else to monitor and clean on a regular basis.

Oh come on kfrosty!!

So the Motion Pro or Dr. D hot start relocate kit has, in your case, been allowing crud to get into the plunger area, and therefore potentially into your motor.

That is not good, and I’m sure others that have the same unnamed product we are talking about here would like to know about it.

• kfrosty

Posted May 23, 2002 - 10:12 AM

I know I know but I don't want to start something here with this product because they have been super to me. I figure if I just put the word out, the people who have after market ones will think to check the plunger area more often and think of this if they have unexplainable problems.

Sorry, if it was from a company that hadn't been good to me I would list the name but like I said my post isn't to cause alarm. These designs like I said open the area up to the potential of letting debris in. I'll add, if you have one I would suggest taking it off and seeing if you have a hole in the front of the plunger that allows you to remove the cable from the plunger. I was thinking about trying to silcone that up or something.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.