fork oil

4 replies to this topic
  • strack

Posted May 21, 2002 - 09:46 PM

my question is, is there any way to add oil to forks without removing them. I've changed the fork seals on my yz, now my friends wr forks are low on oil due to a leaky fork seal. i told him he should change them but he only wants to add oil to them. We have a ride tommarow so we woul like to get this done as quickly as possible. any input is appriciated.

98 yz400

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 21, 2002 - 09:55 PM

Drill a 1/2 inch hole in the side just below the cap.

Bubble gum and duct tape should work to seal it up;

Easiest way with out removing the forks is to remove the haggle bars to get to the Caps.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted May 21, 2002 - 11:11 AM

Strack, tell your friend to replace his seals...that is the best way to fix the problem.
Otherwise, unscrew the bleeder screw on top of the cap. Use a scringe in 5cc or 10cc increments to fill -- even though level probably doesn't matter for your buddy's case

• strack

Posted May 21, 2002 - 03:56 PM

no probably not it will probably just all leak out again, i think he is looking for a quick temp fix but who knows, maybe ill try that drilling a hole and using duct tape :)

• Mark_Cantrell

Posted May 21, 2002 - 06:05 PM

Go to your local pharmacy. Get a 5mm syringe, sans needle. They will most likely give you one. Use that to put oil down, oh forget it. What GA said.

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.