Knee braces that don't go down in the boots?

34 replies to this topic
  • thumper4life

Posted May 21, 2002 - 09:40 PM

I have 19 and a 1/2" calves and i cannot sacrifice more room in my boots for knee braces (which i need! :) )
im on the last clicker of my extended tech 8 calf strap and when i have my pants in my boots for racing, i can just barely get the velcro to touch on the top. i really could use some knee braces, does ANYONE have an idea on which type of knee braces wont go down into my boot? once again lol, i REALLY need knee braces but i guess ill have to live without them if no one makes braces that stay above the boot :D

• kfrosty

Posted May 21, 2002 - 09:57 PM

I don't see how they could make an effective brace without it going down that far. Instead of that, why not contact Thor/Alpine star and see if they possibly have longer straps or ask them if they make boots for people with large calves. If not I would check around for other boot manufacturers of the same quality.

• Mark_UK

Posted May 21, 2002 - 10:08 AM

i had the same problem

these work really well for me, they sit above my boots, thet are very low profile and the shin guard takes up a lot less space in my boots then an old set of fox shin guard i used to wear.
there a really solid bit of kit and since i got em in November ive not damaged a set of tank grafics or race pants.Posted Image

• thumper4life

Posted May 21, 2002 - 10:47 AM

i already have the extended aplpinestars straps for my tech 8's.

and i HAD a pair of shin/knee gaurds from fox untill i couldnt get the boot buckled with the shin guard down in the boot. so i cut off the part that goes in the boot and now i have just a knee pad. so hopefully since you say they take up less room than a fox shin guard, they should work

• Mark_UK

Posted May 21, 2002 - 11:14 AM

thumper4life

i have real big calfs, and the only boots i could get to fit me where gaerne sg1

but they got real tight with the fox pads

please someone else buy a set of these braces so you can back me up when i say they are a great brace :)

• thumper4life

Posted May 21, 2002 - 11:27 AM

did you try the tech 8 with extended straps for a fit?

• thumper4life

Posted May 21, 2002 - 11:32 AM

also i have short legs so i may still have to worry about the bottom of the brace going into the boot :)

how tall are you? im 5'10 1/2" and its 18 and 1/4 inches from the bottom of my foot to the middle of my kneecap :D

• Mark_UK

Posted May 21, 2002 - 11:33 AM

when i went boot shopping i had an amount of money to spend, [not tech 8 amount]

the straps on the gaerne's extend,, the problem i find is the actual size of the boot.

my boots are pretty much worn out now , i think the next boots ill buy will be the sidi force flex, they seem pretty good

• Mark_UK

Posted May 21, 2002 - 11:36 AM

im 6'
i think theres a bit of a gap between the top of my boot and the bottom of the brace,
but to be honest they may even tuck into my boot.
they seem about half the width of my asterisk braces

• RAR

Posted May 21, 2002 - 11:46 AM

I'm 5' 9" and have 18" calves. I use Asterik Braces in XL and use the SIDI Flex Force SRS boots. I've maxed out the adjustable calve system on my boots and still do not have enough room. I called SIDI and they do not have longer straps to send me. I just removed the top strap from my boots and ride like that. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumper4life

Posted May 21, 2002 - 11:50 AM

thats gotta suck....if you dont care how you look, you should try some black duct tape, i saw jeff ward ride like that in a racer X photo, his buckles were broken.

• rvanliere

Posted May 21, 2002 - 01:31 PM

I am waiting for my new boots to arrive the SIDI vortex Its an all new boot found at www.motonation.com Its supposed to have an opening of 22" at the top . By the way I have 20 " calves . :)

[ May 21, 2002: Message edited by: rvanliere ]

• thumper4life

Posted May 21, 2002 - 01:41 PM

jeez, how do you have such big calves?! lol please reply and tell us how your sidi's work out for your humungo calves :)

• YZ400Court

Posted May 21, 2002 - 01:49 PM

I ended up with the Donjoy playmaker for my 22 in calves and tech 8 boots. I can still make the top strap, but not the velcro. Posted ImageHere is the website: http://www.kneeshop.com/playmaker.htm
The neoprene material is very thin, but adds a great deal of support. the hinges keep the knee aligned.

• YZ400Court

Posted May 21, 2002 - 02:04 PM

Scroll down this page to the donjoy extreme, it says that it is designed to not interfere with ski or motorcycle boots. It is expensive, but you may be able to get an ortho doc to prescribe it. http://www.kneeshop.com/djortho2.htm
Posted Image

• Mark_UK

Posted May 21, 2002 - 02:04 PM

If you can wear those neoprene braces u will be able to wear the brace i detailed above,,, they are that low profile

• Mark_UK

Posted May 21, 2002 - 02:07 PM

yeah yzcourt there the ones i have,
the motocrossones come with shin/knee pads

• Mark_UK

Posted May 21, 2002 - 02:16 PM

special sale price $480???

they are selling them direct from here,,,
http://www.donjoyarm...=AR01 MX0 PAR S

for $569 for the PAIR

• YZ400Court

Posted May 21, 2002 - 02:53 PM

The mark up in med equipment is sure high. The 1st set I listed sells on the web for about 160 bucks. My doctor gave me a perscription and I picked them up for 500 bucks....each. No wonder insurance is so expensive. The bad news, I went out without the right one on, and tore the acl in my right knee. It was a first gear, 2 or 3 mph slip that cost $10,000 in hospital bills (surgery), and 9 months off riding. The 500 bucks each doesn't seem so bad now. Even if I have to duct tape the top of my boots, I will never ride without braces again. With 7 months to go, I should have the coolest, cleanest YZ around by the time I recover.

• thumper4life

Posted May 21, 2002 - 02:57 PM

hey court, i cant wear that purple one, my leg be too large! :)

the ONLY mx brace i found that can fit me is the donjoy one that markUK told me about in the beginning, its also the 2nd one court posted but with shin and knee guards.

mark, are the shin knee guards removable?

and to everyone, how can i go about finding if my insurance will cover knee braces? i do have knee injuries in both knees so thats the first step :D now what do i do?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.