Hydration System

3 replies to this topic
  • John_H

Posted May 22, 2001 - 08:23 PM

Thought I'd get one with a small backpack attached instead of the hydration system by itself. Other than having things on my when I wreck, any other drawbacks? Probably carry some first aide stuff, a little food, map, etc...

P.S. Will be up in Grand Junction with some friends Memorial Weekend if anyone wants to ride with us. We're quite a motley crew at best.

John Hamilton

Posted May 23, 2001 - 10:22 PM

John, I bought a fanny pack that has a little water bottle on each side in addition to a backpack thirst quench system. Recently on a ride one of the guys had a radiator hose come loose. The extra water was a life saver. I have made the mistake of bringing too much and also too little. If you are going for a 35 to 70 mile loop make sure that you bring some tools with you plenty of fluid and some power bars or similar type thing to munch on. Bring matches that can be kept dry and a knife. whenever you venture out into the wilderness you need to be prepared as best you can. But weight is an issue. So don't over pack. Use the trial and error method to get it right. Pretend that you are stranded. What would be the bare ensentials that you would need to get by. Consider mechanical problems such as a flat tire. And, remember this, Murphys law even applies to us trail riders. :) P.S. Bring a tow line with you just in case! Hope this helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John_H

Posted May 24, 2001 - 01:38 AM

Good Idea, tow rope. I've thought about that before, but never thought about bringing a line.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted May 24, 2001 - 04:37 AM

A few weekends ago, my bike crapped out in the woods about 15 miles from my truck.

I have just recently switched from a fanny pack to a backpack to carry my gear. I can put everyting I need in there, including my, ahem, Camelback, MSR Toolwrap with all the tools I need, Powerbars, cell phone, keys, bandana and my Moose "Buddy Tow" strap. I don't usually carry the tow strap with me but this time, I just threw it in the pack, almost as an afterthought. Good thing I did. I had heard that they aren't very strong but mine worked perfectly. We hooked the one end of the strap around the seat frame of my friends bike and the other end to my handlebar. The instructions recommend making a quick release arrangement, but they aren't very explicit, so we improvised. What we did was make one complete loop around the center of my handlebar and left about 2 feet of strap free. I pulled the free end of the strap over my left handgrip and held the loose end with my left hand as I gripped the bar. At one point, we go into some deep sand and both bikes got squirrelly. I let go with my left hand and the strap came loose. Otherwise, we would have both probably went down.

I'll never hit the trail again without the tow strap.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.