Z-Start gap on my 426 at .88"

2 replies to this topic
  • Dano426

Posted April 21, 2004 - 03:58 PM

I install my z-start, but the gap measures .088" its like I am missing two whole plates???? :) I will have to admit this is my first time working on a clutch, but it just doesn't add up. I sent Rekluse an e-mail with no response after 24 hours? ???

Here is what I have install for the clutch pack starting from the top ---- Friction Disk --- Rekluse (.55) Drive Plate --- Stock Drive Plate ---- and then six more fiction disks and drive plates stacked. Is it correct to have the Rekluse and the Stock Drive Plates together? Seems a little odd? Where do I start adding plates and should I add the stock friction plate the directions told me to take out???

The directions also told me to use 7 mounting shims over each stud and other posts here at TT people said they used 9 ??? Any thoughts???

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Dan

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John_Lorenz

Posted April 21, 2004 - 06:13 PM

Have you called Rekluse

Don't wait for Emails Call the tech support line.

.88 is way off

Are you using two gage's 180 degrees apart?

The version 3 zstart says 7 shims use 7 shims, I did this on mine no worries.

If you have followed the directions you would actually start from the first plate and work down word one at a time until you have the correct Install Gap.

I questioned placing the two Plates together as well. Do as the instructions say, the first two plates are the Rekluse supplied plates :)

You should end up with Rekluse Pressure plate, 2 Rekluse steel plates, then a friction plate.

So in general an clutch will have Fiber disk, Steel plate, Fiber disk, and so on in a clutch stack.

Just follow the Directions Verbatim

MAKE SURE YOU USE TWO FEELER GAGES

• Dano426

Posted April 23, 2004 - 03:47 AM

I talked with Rekluse and the gap problems was my stupid mistake. I did have the preasure plate pushed down enough for the lower assembley "stand offs" (where the bolts go) to push flush with the presure plate. :D

Rekluse did say that having the stock and rekluse steal plates togeather is the correct way to install it on a YZ426. Sounds a little odd, but I will do what the Rekluse Gods tell me. :)

Thanks again for your help
Dan

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.