Chain Stretch

28 replies to this topic
  • cowboyona426

Posted May 20, 2002 - 06:04 PM

I have a 00 426, and I try to make a habit of tightening the chain on a regular basis. Problem is, every time I ride after I tighten it, its stretched out and loose again. I've adjusted it quite a bit, but it still keeps stretching (stock chain). Is this a common problem? I'm beginning to grow weary of tightening the thing all the time. Any suggestions?

• holeshot

Posted May 20, 2002 - 06:35 PM

Get yourself any brand of high quality chain. I have the DID X-ring - it needed adjusting after the first ride or two, but after that, stretch went to nearly zero.

The stock chain is an endless stretcher. :)

[ May 20, 2002: Message edited by: holeshot ]

• sirthumpalot

Posted May 21, 2002 - 12:48 AM

I'll second the X-ring idea. I got a DID ERV2 x-ring and I've adjusted it a couple of times, but only a tiny bit and not in the last couple of rides. It seems it stretches less and less as it gets broken in. I ride only MX and IMHO it's worth every penny.

• Thumpty_Dumpty

Posted May 21, 2002 - 03:19 AM

Just a thought - are you sure the axle nut is torqued properly?? If it isn't, then maybe the chain is pulling the wheel forward slightly under load...??

• vznx1w

Posted May 21, 2002 - 04:14 AM

Cowboy,

The DID X-Ring is definately the way to go. My chain slack hasn't increased even 1mm in the 10 hours I've ridden so far this year. All I do is spray it with WD40 after washing to prevent rust. The chain is a year and half old and looks like new. I have a buddy who took a 2 year old X-ring off of his 98 CR250 and installed it on his new 01 CR250 and is still running it a year later.

One tip: I believe that the Yamaha recommended chain slack is too tight. I find that if I tighten the chain slack to less than 55mm (measured at rear edge of the swingarm rub block slider w/bike on stand) the chain wears faster. This is because the chain gets tighter as the suspension compresses, and may actually bind--increasing wear--if the unloaded slack is set too tight. This can also lead to broken rear hubs. :)

Steve

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 21, 2002 - 05:11 AM

You guys are pulling my chain arnt you... :)

Honestly:

All the talk about chains and which ones will last.

Bottom line is this, chains are the weakest point in the bike, they are made to break, stretch, give as they get older and more warn. I do not personally buy name brand chains, I believe that paying for 120 links at 60+ bucks is some what steep. I have always gotten me chains from heavy equipment company's in bulk. Case-Hardened, heavy duty chains. and the cost is 2/3 less then renthall, RK, DID and so on. These chains are the same chains you buy at the dealers, made buy the saem companies, packaged by the same companies.

Go ahead buy the RC replica chain for 60 bucks, go ahead and buy the "PRO SPONSERED I GOTTA HAVE IT" chain. Me I am sticking with what I have used for a long long time.....

[ May 21, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• Hokie

Posted May 21, 2002 - 05:22 AM

I have a quick Q about the x-ring chains.

From what I read they seem to last a long time and would probably outlast a set of sprockets. I am under the impression that when you replace the sprockets you are supposed to replace both sprockets and the chain. So I'm not sure if I want to dish out the extra $$$ to buy an x-ring chain if I am going to have to replace it along with the sprockets anyway.

Just for the record, I have not had any problems with non-oring chains and you can clean them anyway you want and not worry about ruining the o-rings.

• Hokie

Posted May 21, 2002 - 05:25 AM

Originally posted by EgoAhole:
I have always gotten me chains from heavy equipment company's in bulk. Case-Hardened, heavy duty chains. and the cost is 2/3 less then renthall, RK, DID and so on. These chains are the same chains you buy at the dealers, made buy the saem companies, packaged by the same companies.
[ May 21, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

I would like to know which company you get them from and a part number.

Thanks!

PS - Do they make the special gold tone Renthal chains too? :)

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 21, 2002 - 06:05 AM

Hokie

I would like to know which company you get them from and a part number.

Thanks!

http://www.sedis.fr/english/01.html
To start with
I normally get it from Tsubaki chain company, used to be able to get the bulk at Orchard supply in CA.

• sirthumpalot

Posted May 21, 2002 - 06:16 AM

Ideally you should replace them as a set because a worn chain will accelerate the wear on a good sprocket and the same goes for worn sprockets with a good chain. However if the chain is still in spec (see the manual) then I don't see how it could hurt.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumpty_Dumpty

Posted May 21, 2002 - 06:17 AM

Ego - I have a similar problem - only with my fuel tank. I always fill it on a Saturday, but by Sunday evening the darn thing's empty again....

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 21, 2002 - 06:28 AM

Dumpy
Huh :)
Ohh You making fun

• CAL

Posted May 21, 2002 - 06:42 AM

I don't buy into the "high price = high quality" either. My bike has a Renthal Oring(was on it when I bought it). Supposedly one of the best chains...It stretches EVERY ride. After about 1-2 hours of riding it needs to be tightened. It also "had" a Renthal sprocket...chewed that thing up quick. I'm going with the cheapest steel sprockets I can find and the cheapest o-ring chain I can find.

• sirthumpalot

Posted May 21, 2002 - 07:00 AM

High price does not equal high quality, correct. But more often than not, the highest quality parts will cost more than lower quality parts.

• Jason_in_KC

Posted May 21, 2002 - 07:51 AM

CAL, I just ordered a Titax Alum. rear sprocket for 30$, RK X-Ring 114links 50$ and a 13/14t front for 8$ each..got these items from Rocky Mountain, had them at the door in 4 business days. I figure at 30$/each for the rear sprockets, that makes them all the more disposable.
EGO, I am interested in your buying? Do you just order a roll of said links or just 120-240 at a time? What kind of cost from this manufacturer you posted the link to? Just wondering, I have a buddy that works on drill rigs, they have rolls and rolls of chains,figures they are all made similarly...Thanks for any additional info on this chain topic.

• Fireballsocal

Posted May 21, 2002 - 09:00 PM

I run tsubaki omega O-ring chain, probobly exactly what Ego gets, and after the first ride, experience no stretch. The stuff is great. I highly recommend it but if you go through a parts counter, it will set you back.
Ego: Can you get this type of chain?

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 21, 2002 - 09:04 PM

No Bulk Buy for me yer on your own

I will see if there is a web site or a mailorder for the place I get it me chains

• H20Pumper

Posted May 21, 2002 - 12:39 PM

Hey Ego does OSH still carry the chain? Likewise do you have a part number. The people at my OSH can hardly figure out where the front door is, much less finding something like this.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted May 21, 2002 - 12:56 PM

Krause makes the best chain in the world. Youll need a second mortgage to buy one though.

• holeshot

Posted May 21, 2002 - 05:08 PM

Originally posted by CAL:
I don't buy into the "high price = high quality" either........It also "had" a Renthal sprocket...chewed that thing up quick.

I've recently put on a Renthal rear sprocket - it seems to be wearing out faster than the stocker. :) Cheezy.

[ May 21, 2002: Message edited by: holeshot ]

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.